174 and 443 Gallowgate, Glasgow.
In 1888 it was reported that William Brechin & Son, Gallowgate had made the headlines, Brechin’s had blended 12.000 proof gallons of the best brands of Scotch Whiskies. Such vast amounts was not heard of in those days. Publicans, Wine and Spirit Merchants hearing of this news, know how serious and busy Brechin’s was and made them a household name.
When Brechins left the 174 Gallowgate premises it became known as Lynch’s, John Lynch’s father owned it for many years. John Lynch is better known in the east end of the city for owning the Old Barns on London Road.
A coaching Inn since 1827, the Black Bull combines traditional atmosphere with modern comforts. 1971.
In the News in 1971…
£140,000 Face-lift But traditions stay.
So often is all the character knocked out of a fine building when the “modernisers” come along, that it’s a pleasure to come across a really well-done blending of old and new.
Such was the case when I went to see the new £140,000 extensions which have just been completed at the Black Bull Hotel, Milngavie.
The Black Bull is an old coaching Inn which dates back to at least 1827, and just over five years ago became part of the Scottish and Newcastle Group. It is now managed by Mr. John Allison, formerly assistant manager at the MacDonald Hotel, Eastwood, in the south side of Glasgow.
The staff has been increased to a total of 65 to cope with the increased business which is already evident. The main extension includes 25 new bedrooms, which brings the number of guest rooms up to 30, and all bedrooms now have their own radio, telephone, television, private bath, and shower, and a tea-making machine.
The new rooms are on the upper floor of the extension, which also houses seven new shops in a very pleasant arched arcade. Besides the new bedrooms, there’s a new function room which holds 130 people for weddings or conferences, and here local tradition has been preserved. The hotel used to be the venue of the local courts in former times, and the function room has been finished to represent judges’ chambers, with fine oak woodwork and book-lined walls.
Manager John Allison. 1971.
The cocktail bar has been extended, and also the restaurant, which now seats 70. The lounge bar and public bar are still to have their face-lift. Still taking pride of place in the reception area is the ancient well, which is believed to have been in use since Roman times. “We keep it glassed over, though,” Mr. Allison told me. “It’s at least 20ft deep.”
A corner of the cocktail bar, which has been extended as part of the hotel’s face-lift. 1971.
The Jacobean style of decoration is, for once, simple and without gimmicks, much to Mr. Allison’s satisfaction. The dark beamed ceilings contrast well with white walls, plain orange curtains, and grey-green tweed upholstery. Wrought-iron lamps from France are a feature of the restaurant, presided over by the popular head waiter. Mr. Alessandro Moro.
Behind the scenes, chef Robin Coleman is in charge of a kitchen which has been doubled in size, and the good cooking for which the Black Bull has a reputation is represented in the wide range of dishes available, table d’hôte and a la carte at lunchtime and a la carte in the evening.
An ancient well, possibly dating from Roman times is a feature of the reception area. 1971.
“The hotel has always been a meeting place for local people and organisations,” said Mr. Allison, “and this is still the case. “Apart from dinner dances, which we are holding on Wednesdays and Fridays in the restaurant, there’s a folk group on alternate Sundays run by Lomond Folk, and the Mafia Club meets here regularly.
Head waiter Alessandro Moro. 1971.
“There’s nothing at all sinister about that, by the way. It stands for a group of Milngavie musicians who play accordians and fiddles!” The Allander Rotary Club, the local Ladies Circle, and Milngavie Toastmasters have regular meetings in the hotel too. Function menus run from £1.25 to £2, and bed and breakfast charges are £4.25 for single rooms and £6.50 for doubles, plus the service charge.
117 Bishop Street, Anderston.
Do you know the name of this Public House.?
The pub sat at the corner of 117 Bishop Street, and William Street, Anderston.
It was originally called Gilmour’s Bar. Hugh Gilmour the owner of the pub in the 1890s had other premises in the city, the most famous one still survives today and is known as Thomson’s Bar, 579-81 Springburn Road which he took over in 1886, his other two public houses were Ruxton’s Bar, at 21 Elderslie Street and 39-41 Cowlairs Road, this pub is better known as the Highland Fling in Springburn area, north of Glasgow.
The Bishop Street premises were sold to well known and respected publican Francis Meichen in 1900. Mr Meichen also ran a pub at 56 Dale Street, Bridgeton, which he took over in 1888, and 326-28 Possil Road, acquiring it in 1890. Other pubs Francis Meichen had were the Old Toll Bar, Paisley Road West and Meichen’s Bar in Parliamentary Road and the Old College Bar on the High Street.
In 1908 the Bishop Street premises were sold to publican Patrick Shanley, he also ran a pub at 394 Parliamentary Road at the corner of Calderwood Street, which he acquired two years later. Mr Shanley continued in the pub in Bishop Street until the end of the 1930s.
After World War Two Daniel R Anderson took over the business, he also ran a successful pub at 79 Main Street, Bridgeton. In 1947 Mr Anderson was residing at 8 Moraine Avenue, Drumchapel. His wife Mary continued as licensee until the pub finally closed down and demolished in the mid 1960s, when most of the buildings in Bishop Street and William Street were flattened.
In the NEWS 1977.
Thousands of gallons of bad beer have given an international brewery company a massive hangover.
Ind Coope, who are running an intensive TV advertising campaign which shows a man clutching a pint of Diamond Heavy crash through the floor, have seen sales plunge in the same direction.
In the West of Scotland scores of pubs have been without the beer, “forcing” pint drinkers to switch to spirits.
The beer affected is Double Diamond Export, Diamond Heavy, which is brewed in Alloa, is unaffected.
One of the howffs hit is the Waterside Miners’ Welfare Club, near Kirkintilloch. The manager there said, “We have been without some beer for almost a fortnight now. The first week members drank bottled beer, but that has run out also. Now they are being forced to drink spirits.
“I just hope they get this sorted our soon. I have had a lot of complaints.”
At Samuel Dow’s pub in Mitchell Street, Glasgow, they are more fortunate. One of the staff said, “We were lucky. We had a large stock of beer in before this emergency. But we won’t be able to last much longer.”
The bosses at Ind Coope were left with a bitter taste in their mouth after thousands of kegs of beer were distributed throughout Scotland.
The discerning Scots drinkers soon let bar managers know what they thought of the bad beer. After receiving hundreds of complaints the Ind Coope bosses decided to recall the bad beer, which came from Burton-on-Trent.
Now, after two weeks investigation they think they have the problem sorted.
A spokesman for the brewery said today- “We have had a problem with one of our brands over the last couple of weeks and a significant quantity had to be returned.
“But this has now been overcome and our quality and standards are back to the level expected of our products.”
2-4 Henderson Street.
Ben Mhor. 1970s.
The Ben Mhor Bar sat at the corner of Henderson Street and Maryhill Road formerly New City Road. There has been a public house on this site since the tenement building was erected in 1876. Timothy Warren was the first licence holder.
Mr Timothy Warren was a well known and respected Glasgow publican in the trade. He had a good reputation and his pubs had some of the best managers in the city. Good clean premises and good quality wines, spirits and beers were always served especially Warren’s own proprietary blend of “Heathery Knowe Old Highland Whisky”.
By the 1890s Mr Warren had premises all over the city including 51 Clyde Street in Anderston which he acquired in 1888, 90-92 Kelvin Street (1887), 15-17 Dunchattan Street (1879), 41 Scotia Street corner of 89 Grove Street (1889), 482 New Keppochhill Road (Pinkston Bar), (1889). His son also Timothy ran pubs at 254 Garngadhill at the corner of 53 Rosemount Place (1891), many will still remember this old pub as the “Benburb Bar”, and 30 Maitland Street at the corner of 40 Milton Street, (1891).
This view was taken from Napiershall Street. 1970s.
Mr Warren had the advantage of owning various pubs including Henderson Street, New Keppochhill Road, Scotia Street and Clyde Street, Anderston. In 1902 he was living at 30 Kersland Street.
Mr Warren’s son Timothy jun traded under the title of Timothy Warren jun & Co, wholesale wine & spirit merchants having his offices at 39 Scotia Street. Timothy jun was then living at 194 Renfrew Street before moving to Guilsland in Beith. Other members of the family took control of the other pubs when Mr Warren passed away around 1904.
Charles Law Warren was licensee of Henderson Street which he took over in 1907and New Keppochhill Road premises, Thomas Thorburn Warren had 41 Scotia Street and Dunchattan Street, Caroline Warren had 30 Maitland Street, and Timothy jun had 51 Clyde Street in Anderston and 90-92 Kelvin Street.
This image was taken in 1969. Partick Thistle footballer Johnnie Flanagan knocking down a pile of pennies in the Ben Mhor. Watching are Mr and Mrs Duffy, manager and manageress, Mrs J Darge, Royal National Institute for the blind, Glasgow and West of Scotland, to whom the proceeds went, and Mrs J Rogers, assistant manageress.
Various pubs were sold off and after the First World War the War there were only three pubs left, Charles Warren had the Henderson Street and New Keppochhill Road Premises, while Thomas Thorburn was running the Scotia Street premises.
During the 1930s Ann Warren was licensee, she continued as licence holder until the 1950s. The pub was conducted by the trustees of the late Charles Warren, Ann or Annie as she was better known was the widow of Charles, his son Norman and Mr J B Anderson, all of whom took a close personal interest in the business.
The firm pinned their faith to “Castle” ales, and a notable feature at Warren’s was the care taken to ensure that all draught beer was supplied from cask to customer in perfect condition. A modern system of piping was used and the very latest pattern of silver counter founts had been installed. The pub was commodious and comfortable and an excellent electrical tubular heating system was fitted throughout the premises now known as radiators.
Good cellar management was also an important part of the business, there was stillion accommodation for casks and plenty of room for bottling operations. Evidence that the firm ranked high, as employers, was the fact that Mr Allan Maclean, shop manager, who was a native of Tiree, had been with the firm for well over forty years. Mr Maclean was not only highly esteemed by his employers but also by a large circle of personal friends and customers.
In 1960s many will still remember Alexander D Campbell as licensee and in 1972 John Murdo MacMillan took over the pub.
During the 1970s the pub was filmed in part of the Jimmy Boyle story the Sense of Freedom.
323 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. G2 3WH. Tel: 0141 353 0953.
Bier Hof. 2008.
Other branches of the Bier are in 372-74 Great Western Road, Glasgow. Telephone 0141 339 9177. They also have a Pizza delivery call 07597 563 598. The Original Republic Bier Halle is at 9 Gordon Street off Buchanan Street, tel: 0141 204 0706. The original Bier Hof in Sauchiehall Lane.
IN THE NEWS 1978.
Pubs Draw Up List To Bar Thugs…
Scots pub managers are compiling their own dossier on drinkers who start bar brawls.
They are gathering the information so that they can join their counter parts south of the border in a “Ban the Thugs” campaign.
A mass lobby of Parliament is scheduled for February 21 when pub and hotel managers will put their complaints to MPs. It is estimated that around 1000 attacks take place in Britain’s 60,000 pubs every week at a cost of £20m. a year.
But according to Eric Ridehaigh secretary of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association, regulars north of the Border are less rowdy than those in England.
“I don’t think we have as big a problem as they have in England, but in the absence of detailed information we have decided to go ahead in compiling our dossier of assaults,” he said.
Each of Scotland’s 7000 pub and hotel managers has been sent four forms to be filled in and returned to the SLTA headquarters in Edinburgh.
The forms ask “names and addresses of offenders,” “description of assault,” “injuries sustained,” and “names and addresses of those assaulted, whether staff or customers.”
One of the forms must be returned to the association immediately an incident has taken place. Another is kept and filled in after court proceedings are carried out.
“The majority of pub incidents are caused by people flying off the handle at the last minute,” added Mr Ridehaigh.
“We have no idea at all the extent of the problem, and the National Union of Licensed Victuallers, our counterparts in England, are constantly asking us for information. “There is no point protesting to the Government about a problem if you do have the information to back it up.
“There are pockets of difficulty in industrial areas of Scotland but it has never been a real problem.”