MacLeod’s Bar, 429 Eglinton Street, corner of 1 Elgin Street, Glasgow.
Mr Alexander William MacLeod. 1887.
Alexander William MacLeod was born in Dunvegan, Isle of Skye in the 1830s. At an early age he lost both his parents, year after year he struggled to get on in life and moved to Glasgow where he became connected with the spirit trade in 1867 by entering the services of Mr D Crawford, Queen Street, Glasgow, after five years of hard work he left to work with Messrs. H & E Taylor in their premises at Stirling Street now Blackfriar Street, this firm later became known as Stevenson Taylors.
Hard work paid off and his employers helped him buy his first public house in 1877, a small pub on Herbertson Street at the corner of South Coburg Street, paying an annul rent of £50.00. Mr MacLeod prospered in this old pub this was due to the fact that he had very good training with H & E Taylor. In 1883 Alexander opened another pub at 429 Eglinton Street, Glasgow, this pub became the Gordon Bar sitting at the corner of Elgin Street. Another pub was added to his small empire at 45 Cheapside Street which he acquired in 1888.
Alexander loved the outdoors, he was President of the Wanderers Angling Club, he was also Vice President of the Glasgow Skye Association and in this connection he had taken a warm and active interest in all the movements for the amelioration of the condition of his crofter counrtymen. In his spare time he enjoyed a good book.
The Gordon Bar, Corner of Eglinton Street and Turriff Street.
The Gordon Bar 1960s.
The Gordon Bar. 1960s.
License Holders for the premises at 429 Eglinton Street, the Gordon Bar.
1973 Margaret Dougan.
1960 Robert P Johnston.
1937 Duncan McLennan.
1919 Christine Ann MacLeod (for the trustees of Alexander macLeod.
1899 – 1883 Alexander W MacLeod.
Turriff Street was formerly Elgin Street.