23 Chapel Street, Hamilton.
Robert Lauchlan. Wine & Spirit Merchant.
Thank to Mr Tyre.
23 Chapel Street, Hamilton.
Robert Lauchlan. Wine & Spirit Merchant.
Thank to Mr Tyre.
Mr Oliver dancing with Miss Hamilton. 1972.
The scene at the opening of Oliver’s Inn, Hamilton, when guests lined up behind the bar. They are from left to right; Mr A Brown (Cadzow Vaults); Mr R Crozier (Tennents Caledonian Breweries); Mr J Smith (Chatteringhall Hotel); Mr G Keir (guest); Mr S A McDonagh (Scottish and Newcastle Breweries); Mr A Shepherd (Kilglass Wine and Spirits); Mr and Mrs J Oliver (proprietors); Miss Julie Hamilton (who performed the opening ceremony); Provost Robert Sherry of Hamilton; Mrs and Mr A Beaton (manageress and manager); and Mr W Minnican and Mr A MacPherson (Westlers.)
Interior view of the Mill Inn, Hamilton. 1961.
This pub was owned by Scottish Brewers in the 1960s.
Group of friends at Lachie MacMillan’s New Bar, Hamilton. 1957.
This photograph was taken at the opening of Lachie MacMillan’s New Bar, Hamilton. Left to right: J H MacLaren (W. H. Chaplin & Co., Ltd.); B Robertson (Samuel Dow., Ltd.); G Maguire and W T Doherty (Thomas Usher); Lachie MacMillan; W G R Wright (Standfast); W McIvor (Johnnie Walker); C W Stewart (Haigs); R W Hardie (W & A Gilbey.)
The Hillhouse, Hamilton. 1962.
Designed and built to blend with the housing development carried out at the Hillhouse scheme in Hamilton. “The Hillhouse,” built by Thomas Usher and sons Ltd., the latest of their modern and commodious “new style” public houses, was officially opened by Provost Adam Russell in January 1962.
The Hillhouse development already had a population of two to three thousand, with no licensed premises in the community.
Those present included Mr I G Donaldson, managing director, and Mr G Bagley, Director of Ushers Ltd. Well-known West of Scotland entertainer Nicky Kidd was acting as resident manager for the owners. Mr and Mrs Kidd lived in a five apartment house above the premises.
Extending a personal welcome to Provost Russell, Mr Donaldson said the company’s policy was to provide “Pleasant and commodious premises.” The Hamilton premises were the latest of a number of “new style” public houses being erected throughout Scotland.
Internally the building had a large public bar with an island fixed seating unit for 50 people; a medium sized lounge bar; a reception room for weddings and parties with accommodation for 120 guests; two cocktail bars and reception hall. The premises were centrally-heated throughout.
The Hillhouse bar had its own wine shop outside the public house proper, and a large forecourt providing plenty of parking space. The premises took approximately eight months to complete.
Here are four images of the Hillhouse Bar interior views.
The Public Bar.
The Lounge Bar.
Function room and cocktail bars.
62 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Circles advert 1978.
177-79 Low Waters Road, Hamilton.
Interior view of the Cadzow Vaults, 1953.
The Cadzow Vaults had a new cocktail bar opened in 1953. The official opening ceremony was performed on September 18th by Mr J C McIlwraith, solicitor, Hamilton, the secretary of the local licensed trade association, who was accompanied by Mrs McIlwraith. Licensee was Mr Archibald Brown, who was partnered in the business by Mr J S Smith.
9 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Interior view of the Bruce Arms. 1949.
The Bruce Arms; in terms of longest bars in Scotland this was one of the contenders. It was 106 foot long owned by Daniel McVeigh. Mr McVeigh entered the Licensed Trade in 1899 and completed his jubilee in the pub. He commenced business on his own behalf in 1905, when he acquired the licence for the Glenrone, Moss Street Paisley. Subsequently he disposed of it and in 1934 acquired the Bruce Arms, Hamilton.
The following year he took over the Bruce Arms, Paisley and in 1945 he added the Royal Hotel, Motherwell, the latter being transferred recently to his son Tom.
Mr Daniel McVeigh senior. 1949.
Mr McVeith was assisted at Hamilton by his son Edward and in Paisley by his son Jack. The latter served with distinction in the Navy during the war, his brother Tom serving in the R.A.F. and Edward serving in civil aviation. A forth son, Daniel G McVeigh spent six years in the Army and is now teaching.
Though he has been 50 years in the Trade, he continued in the Trade for many years. His hobbies were angling and motoring, otherwise business.
Albany Bar, New Cross, Hamilton.
Argyle Bar, Quarry Street, Hamilton.
Argyll & Sutherland Bar, 59 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Almada Inn, Peacock Cross, Hamilton.
Auld Hoose, 22 Low Waters, Hamilton.
Black Bull Hotel, 22-24 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Brandon Bar, 33 Castle Street, Hamilton.
Bruce Arms, 9 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Burns Tavern, 39 Campbell Street, Hamilton.
Cadzow Bar, 45 Cadzow Street, Hamilton.
Castle Wine & Spirit Vaults, 293-95 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
Club Bar, 47 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
Clyde Bar, Low Waters, Hamilton.
Commercial Hotel, 33-35 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Criterion Bar, 100 Quarry Street, Hamilton.
Criterion Bar, 141 Quarry Street, Hamilton.
Crown Inn, 53-55 Almada Street, Hamilton.
Dolphin Bar, 31 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
Douglas & Clydesdale Bar, Old Cross, Hamilton.
Earnock Vaults, High Blantyre Road, Hamilton.
Empire Bar, 289 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
Enfield Bar, 65 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
Greenfield Bar, 177 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
The Hillhouse, Hillhouse, Hamilton.
Horse Inn, Bothwell Road.
Kings Arms Inn, Muir Street, Hamilton.
Lachie MacMillan’s Bar, Hamilton.
Mac’s Almada Bar, 16 Almada Street, Hamilton.
Mac’s Bar, 48-50 Townhead Street, Hamilton.
Mill Inn, Fairhill, Hamilton.
Oak Bar, 152 Low Waters, Cadzow, Hamilton.
Oliver’s Inn, Hamilton.
Palace Bar, Muir Street, Hamilton.
Peacock Bar, Peacock Cross, Hamilton.
Peter Somes, Criterion Bar, Quarry Street, Hamilton.
Railway Vaults, 8 Clydesdale Street, Hamilton.
Royal Hotel Bar, Edinburgh Road, Hamilton.
Strathmore Bar, 61 Chapel Street, Hamilton.
Sutherland Arms, Campbell Street, Hamilton.
Victoria Bar, 119 Glasgow Road, Hamilton.
Volunteer Arms, Hamilton.
The Wine Shop, 30 Campbell Street, Hamilton.
In 1945 George Kilmartin a spirit merchant, 7 Whitehill Road, Burnbank, Hamilton admitted(1) having in his premises in Townhead Street, Hamilton, between August 17 and September 13 January 1945 prepared methylated spirits for use as a beverage by mixing the same with Irish whiskey, and (2) on September 13 having in his possession 23 gallons and 21 and a quarter gills capable of being used wholly or partly as a beverage in the preparation of which methylated spirits, or a derivative thereof, had been used. It was explained on behalf of the accused that he believed he was dealing in genuine whisky. It would be noticed that there was no charge whatever of selling to the public. A fine of £75 was imposed, with the alternative of three months imprisonment, and forfeiture was ordered.
Other Hamilton Pubs…
The Auld Hoose, 219 Low Waters Rd, Hamilton. ML3 7QN. Tel: 01698 282206.
The Barleycorn, 1 Low Waters Rd, Hamilton. ML3 7LG. Tel: 01698 282559.
Bar West, 165 Almada St, Hamilton. ML3 0E. Tel: 01698 422155.
Bradley’s Bar, 204 Hillhouse Rd, Hamilton. ML3 9NS. Tel: 01698 822450.
The Bully Inn, 2 Store Row, Quarter, Hamilton. ML3 7XU. Tel: 01698 423382.
Butterburn Bar,44 Gateside St, Hamilton. ML3 7JQ. Tel: 01698 283357.
Chambers Lounge Bar, 55 Almada St, Hamilton. ML3 0HQ. Tel: 01698 283161.
The Clansman Bar, Burnbank Rd, Hamilton. ML3 9AA. Tel: 01698 283454.
Cosy Corner, 189 Mill Rd, Hamilton. ML3 8PE. Tel: 01698 283093.
Doherty’s, 33-35 Castle St, Hamilton. ML3 6BU. Tel:01698 283412.
The Empire Bar, 289 Glasgow Rd, Hamilton. ML3 0QG. Tel: 01698 307310.
The George, 16-18 Campbell St, Hamilton. ML3 6AS. Tel: 01698 424225.
Glenlee Bar, 295 Glasgow Rd, Hamilton. ML3 0QZ. Tel: 01698 710456.
Guys Inn, 93 Meikle Earnock Road, Hamilton, ML3 8AG. Tel: 01698 284 030.
Hardie’s, 25 Chapel St, Hamilton. ML3 6AP. Tel: 01698 284199.
Hemingways, 1-3 Keith St, Hamilton. ML3 7BL. Tel: 01698 301677.
Jilts Bar, 14 Brandon St, Hamilton. ML3 6AB. Tel: 01698 282631.
Maverix, Quarry St, Hamilton. ML3 6QS. Tel: 01698 458174.
Roxy’s Bar, 78 Brandon St, Hamilton. , ML3 6AB. Tel: 01698 891237.
Strada, Cadzow Arcade, 26 Cadzow St, Hamilton. ML3 6DG. Tel: 01698 282789.
The Stonehouse, 45 Cadzow St, Hamilton. ML3 6DZ. Tel: 01698 286479.
Victoria Bar, 169 Quarry St, Hamilton. ML3 7HR. Tel: 01698 285949.
Windsor Bar, 3 Castle St, Hamilton. , ML3 6BU. Tel: 01698 459550.
The Wee Dram, 177 Low Waters Rd, Hamilton. ML3 7QQ. Tel: 01698 285915.
The Woodhead Bar, Swisscot Ave, Hamilton. ML3 8DR. Tel: 01698 300157.
Commercial Hotel, Hamilton, Mr M Campbell.
John Cassels, Secretary of the Hamilton Licensed Trade Defence Association.
Mr John McGuire owned the Argyll Bar, Quarry Street.
Thomas Patrick “The Firs”, Hamilton.
The Welcome Inn, 92 Carlisle Road, Ferniegair, near Hamilton.
Hamilton Licensed Trade Defence Association, Alexander Freebairn 1906, Alexander Begg 1902, Mr Smith 1896, President of the Defence Association, George F Pollock 1894.
Thomas Rae, Hamilton Wine Spirit & Beer Trade Association, Provost Keith, Hamilton Vice-President,
Here is a list of Spirit Dealers In Hamilton 1909.
Albany Bar, New Cross, A McDougall. Victoria Bar, 119 Glasgow Road. William Allan.
5 Castle Street,Robert Anderson. Oak Bar, 152 Low Waters, Cadzow, J Baillie. Black Bull Hotel, 22-24 Townhead Street, Thomas Ingram. Baillie’s Causeway, Mrs S Bain. Bay Horse Inn, Bothwell Road, Mrs Gregorson. 1 Union Street, Robert Bell.
35-37 Gateside Street, Archibald Blair.
Armada Inn, Peacock Cross, O C Bona.
18 Campbell Street, Alexander Brand.
Brandon Bar, New Cross.
33 Castle Street, D W Brown.
Burns Tavern, 39 Campbell Street, W Johnston.
143 Quarry Street, W Buswell.
21-23 Almada Street, James Cameron.
Castle Wine & Spirit Vaults, 293-95 Glasgow Road.
Clyde Bar, Low Waters, M Chassels.
Commercial Hotel, 33-35 Townhead Street, George R Cocks.
31 Quarry Street, Mrs George Constable.
County Hotel, 18-20 Cadzow Street, W G Craig.
125 Quarry Street, Mrs Helen Cross.
177 Low Waters, John Crowe.
169 Quarry Street, Thomas Crowe.
Crown Inn, 53-55 Almada Street, Thomas Dodd.
Douglas & Clydesdale Bar, Old Cross, Mrs Cameron.
Earnock Vaults, High Blantyre Road.
23 Church Street, J Easson.
Empire Bar, 289 Glasgow Road, Hugh Mair.
22 Castle Street, James Ferguson.
44 Gateside Street, Gavin Fleming.
Criterion Bar, 100 Quarry Street, Alexander Freebairn.
Greenfield Bar, 177 Glasgow Road, William Sneddon.
4 Quarry Street, John Hamilton.
4 Church Street, Humphrey Hynds.
19-21 Chapel Street, Mrs Archibald Jamieson.
61-63 Duke Street, William Kilmartin.
King’s Arms Inn, 9-11 Almada Street.
Railway Vaults, 8 Clydesdale Street, John Lawson.
33 Beckford Street, Mrs Lochhead.
Bruce Arms, 9 Townhead Street, John McCaffrie.
Shawburn Street, John McKay.
Cadzow Bar, 45 Cadzow Street, McLachlan’s.
78-80 Brandon Street, William McLagan.
Back of Barns, J H McLaughlin.
Mac’s Almada Bar, 16 Almada Street.
Mac’s Bar, 48-50 Townhead Street.
31 Campbell Street, James Miller.
Church Street, Mrs B Meechan.
Club Bar, 47 Glasgow Road, M Orr.
Strathmore Bar, 61 Chapel Street, John Paterson.
Palace Bar, Muir Street, Mrs J Rae.
Railway Restaurant, 215 Glasgow Road, Edward Flannigan.
Enfield Bar, 65 Glasgow Road, John Reid.
Dolphin Bar, 31 Glasgow Road, J P Reid.
Auld Hoose, 22 Low Waters, M Rice.
59 Townhead Street, John Robertson.
Royal Hotel Bar, George Dodd.
Edinburgh Road, J B Scott.
33 Almada Street, Peter Somers, Criterion Bar.
141 Quarry Street, George Thorpe.
177-179 Almada Street, William Walker.
12 Quarry Street, Mrs Watson.
Postgate, Duncan Williamson.
Peacock Bar, Peacock Cross, James Young.
In 1901 Mr J M Smith, Castle Street public house burnt down.
Campbell Street, Hamilton.
Mr William Sutherland with his pet Greyhound “Bill Sykes”. 1903.
Mr William Sutherland proprietor of the Sutherland Arms in Campbell Street, Hamilton, might justly lay claim to be styled a self made man; indeed, as things go, he is really the architect of his own fortune. Born in the small town of Halkirk, about miles from Thurso. I the 1860s he inherited that fine healthy physique and sturdy constitution for which the natives of Caithness-shire are known throughout the country.
Indeed his early upbringing in the region of the hardy fisher folk fitted him admirably for the career that lay before him. Receiving his education at the good old Parish School of Halkirk, under the able tuition of Mr John Meiklejohn, one of the now extinct race of worthy dominie’s, he still retained pleasant memories of the playground and its surroundings.
Leaving school he was apprenticed to a shoemaker, but cribbed, cabined, and confined the monotony of life at the last and lapstone had no charms for young Mr Sutherland. A devoted student of his native music he was successful in receiving the appointment of under-keeper and piper to Sir Tollemache Sinclair on the Ulbster estate, a post that suited him admirably; but still in the restlessness of youth he was anxious to see more of his native country and next found himself journeying south to become under-keeper and piper to Colonel Outhwaite at North Berwick. This position he again vacated to fill the same post with Sir John Watson, of Earnock, afterwards to the Duke of Hamilton on his Doucharie estate, and latterly to Sir John Stirling Maxwell, when after remaining about two years he made his first venture as proprietor of the Royal Hotel, Larkhall, a business that prospered rapidly in his hands, and the value of which became greatly enhanced during the period of his proprietorship. He disposed of the Royal Hotel in 1900.
He then came to Hamilton, where he conducted the Sutherland Arms, a hostelry that came popular in Hamilton. Mr Sutherland was a bred sportsman, he took a keen interest in every description of outdoor recreation, but above all liked to handle the gun, he was an expert pigeon shooter and a keen dog lover. His hobby lies in the direction of sporting dogs, whose points he can weigh up at a glance. The photograph above was taken with his famous greyhound Bill Sykes a full brother to Long Glass a winner of the Waterloo Purse in 1900.
He was a member of the Hamilton Bowling and Curling Clubs, he was also an enthusiastic Freemason and took a loyal interest in the affairs of the Burgh as befits every good citizen.
Convenient to the Caledonian Station, trim built, snugly furnished and efficiently conducted, the Sutherland Arms was a place to know, while the quality and condition of the liquor and other refreshments were a delight to the visitors of the Sutherland Arms.