798 London Road, Glasgow.
The Cot Bar was situated at the corner of London Road and Queen Mary Street. This old London Road howff was established in 1869 by east end spirit merchant James Barr.
To read more on the history of the Barr family please check back soon for our second book.
In 1888 David Auchterlonie acquired the licence. David was born in Kirkaldy and moved to Glasgow with his parents in 1871, where he received his education. He did not intend to enter the spirit trade as he trained to be a civil engineer, but he never stuck to this occupation for long. For three years he sailed on board ships sailing from Glasgow and trading among the Australian Colonies, he gained a great knowledge of the sea and seeing some of the great Indian seaport on his way. Returning to Glasgow, David left the seafaring life for good and joined the staff in the wholesale trade with Messrs. Nicol Anderson & Co., St. Enoch Square but soon drifted into his father’s retail business, a public house at 222 New Dalmarnock Road, this old pub became known as the Prince of Wales.
His father William was in failing health and David came into the business to render assistance in his father pubs which then consisted of New Dalmarnock Road, London Road and Broad Street, he ultimately became licence holder for both pubs at London Road and Broad Street. His father died shortly afterwards. Jessie Auchterlonie continued a licensee of the pub on New Dalmarnock Road until 1926.
David Auchterlonie became heavily involved in the defence industry and was Convener of the Bridgeton Division of the Glasgow Licensed Trade Defence Association, he was also associated with the Scottish Wine and Spirit Merchants Benevolent Institution and a member of the Eastern Merchants. In his spare time he played bowls at the Cambuslang Club near to his residence at Cadzow Drive, and was a free mason of lodge St. Mungo No. 27. The London Road premises were sold to John McDonald in 1910, Mr McDonald continued as licence holder a few years before WW2.
During the war Thomas Clarkson ran this popular east end pub which was now known as the Cot Bar. The last licensee to hold the certificate was John Graham, he continued to serve the locals here until the pub was forced to close as a result of the building being unsafe and was due to be demolished a few years later by the City Council.
Mr David Auchterlonie. 1898.