Ye Olde Anchor Tavern – Argyle Street
246 Maryhill Road, Glasgow.
Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults sat at the corner of Maryhill Road and Hopehill Road.
This part of Maryhill Road was formerly called New City Road and was changed in the early 1920s.
The Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults model tramcar is now back on public display in the re-opened Maryhill Burgh Halls… Thanks to Gordon Barr, Heritage Development Officer.
John Barrie acquired the premises in 1880 and continued as licensee until his death in 1900. Mr Barrie also owned the famous St. Andrew’s Vaults, Kent Road now the Avalon Bar. Mr Barrie lived at 348 St Georges’ Road in 1880 before moving to Blythswood Drive in the early part of 1900.
After his death trustee David Somers took over the licence and continued to hold the certificate until after WW1.
William Barr took over the pub in 1930, the old tram on the rails that hung over the pavement was a famous landmark for years on Maryhill Road. When the pub was demolished in the late 1970’s the tram disappeared for a while but was found it’s way into the Peoples Palace a few years later. Mr Barr lived at 50 Burnbank Terrace.
Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults, taken from North Woodside Road. 1960s.
Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults taken from Hopehill Road. 1950s.
Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults in the background with James D Wilson in the foreground.
Thanks to Ken Stevens for this image of his model of a Tram going along Maryhill Road at Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults.
1978-1930 William Barr.
1919-1901 David Somers.
1900-1889 John Barrie.
1880 John Barrie
136 Queen Street, Glasgow. G1 Tel: 01412219330.
Yates Wine Lodge. 1991.
Over the years this old established pub has had many name changes in recent years it has been known as The Ingram Bar, Yates Wine Lodge and Drouthy Neebors, today the title above the door is back to The Ingram.
There has been licensed premises on this site since 1916, landlord John MacKenzie Caldwell ran the public house until the end of the First World War. Another well known publican to run the Ingram was Donald MacLean who took over in 1944. The original Ingram Bar was located in Ingram Street, however the licence was transferred to it’s present site on Queen Street when the old Ingram Bar was demolished.
Interior view of the main bar, Ingram Bar. 1945.
Donald MacLean was born on the Isle of Skye, when he came to Glasgow he worked in the kitchen of the Central Hotel, afterwards becoming a waiter there. He gained further experience in the trade at the Royal Hotel, Oban and Gleneagles Hotel and spent ten years in the Grosvenor Hotel, Glasgow. He then when on to own his own pub in 1938 at 339 Cathedral Street. The Ingram consisted of the main bar and small dining rooms.
Jean Hannah an old lady that worked in the premises for many years was established as Secretary of the business. Mr MacLean had many interests, he was a member of the Glasgow Licensed Trade Defence Association, he took a keen interest in the Glasgow Skye Association, he also liked the works of Rabbie Burns and was a member of the Royalty Burns Club. During the war he served in the Clyde River Patrol.
Exterior view of the Ingram Bar.
In the News 1973…
Mr. A. M. Don (Dunn & Moore), past president, and Mr. A. Sutter (Buchanan Booth’s Agencies) standing. Seated, Mr. A. Stewart (Buchanan Booth’s); Mrs. E. Prosser; Mr. J. Brown (Ingram Bar); and Mr. P. Taylor (Albany Hotel). 1973. This photograph was taken at the annual outing of the “BEN” (Scottish Wine and Spirit Merchants’ Benevolent Institution.
Also see Yates’s, Sauchiehall Street.
In 1978, Mr. Jack Brown, one of Glasgow’s noted licensed trade personalities, for many years proprietor of the Ingram Bar, Queen Street, Glasgow, has died in hospital, aged 68. He is survived by his wife, one son, Jack, who runs the Shaws Bar, Westwood Road, Pollokshaws, Glasgow, and one daughter, Marlene.
Donald MacLean. 1945.
Interior view of the dining room, Ingram Bar. 1945.
Interior view of the Ingram Bar. 1950s.
251 Gallowgate, Glasgow. G4.
The Haven. 1991.
This old pub is now called The Emerald Isle. Like many of the pubs near the Glasgow Barras it has a Celtic Theme and only opens at weekends and when the football is on.
The history of this oldie can be traced back to the 1820s when James Reid occupied the premises for nearly forty years.
David Graham took over the pub in 1875, the Graham’s owned several pub in the east end of the city including Graham’s on the Saltmarket, Graeme Street, Bridge Street, Paisley Road.
The Emerald Isle, August 2005.
Other names this old pubs has had over the years, Reid’s, Graham’s, Civic Bar, The Land, Ye Land Inn, Murray’s Bar, The Emerald Isle.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
1991 George McDowall.
1973-1961 James A Murray.
1937 Nathaniel Reid.
1914-1875 David Graham.
1863-1826 James Reid.
Also see a photograph of Mr Murray at the Kessington.