Renfield Street, Glasgow.
Renfield Street, Glasgow.
173 Renfield Street, Glasgow.
The Bristol Bar was situated at the corner of Renfield Street and Cowcaddens Street. In 1875 the licensee was a gentleman called John Deas.
In 1894 Patrick McAnulty owned this well established pub, he also owned a pub on Dalmarnock Road, many will remember this old pub as Terry’s Bar.
During the First World War Thomas Lawrence McCarthy was landlord.
In the 1930s William R Benson was running the Bristol Bar along with Benson’s Bar on Keppochill Road.
In 1958 William Berrie Gow was the new owner of the Bristol Bar, he also had Lauder’s, Sauchiehall Street, The Albany Bar, Dalmarnock Road and the Charing Cross Bar, North Street. He also ran the George Bar, Kent Road, Jock’s Lodge, Ardrossan and the Albert Hotel, Alexandria of which Mrs Gow managed.
One of the first premises of which he was proprietor was the Dumbuck Hotel, Dumbarton. During the war he was chief air raid warden in that area and played some considerable part in the rescue and other operations following the Clydebank air raids.
Mr Gow was a director of the Dumbarton Football Club for 15 years including 5 years as chairman.
Apart from his interest in pubs he entered into the wholesale business and became managing director of a number of companies owning licensed establishments throughout the country including the Coach & Horses, Aberdeen Ltd., Modern Licenses Ltd., Edinlay Modern Licenses Ltd., Cowie Taverns Ltd., and the Muirhead Inns Ltd. These companies were subsequently sold and other businesses were taken on including MacDonald Caterers Ltd, he opened the Orchard Park Hotel, Giffnock which he had converted from a nursing home.
For 8 years he served as chairman of the Sandyford Ward Committee of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association. He became a director of that Association in 1945 and served as both junior and senior vice-president before being elected president in 1954, a position he held with distinction for 6 years.
In 1948 he was elected to the Managing Committee of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association, became in turn junior and senior vice-president, serving in that office for 2 years. In 1962 he was appointed Honorary President of that Association in recognition of his outstanding services.
He was one of the three Scottish members of the Licensed Non-Residential Catering Wages Board from 1952 and was at the time of his death the only surviving member of the original Board. He also represented the Scottish Licensed Trade Association on the National Consultative Council of the Retail Licensed Trade, the National Trade Development Association and the Scottish Consultative Group Licensed Trade, he also served on the council of the Scottish Licensed Trade Veto Defence Fund.
William B Gow died 25th July 1963.
William’s son Jack took over the running of his concerns, Jack worked with his father in the Bristol Bar before taking on the managment of the various pubs the Gow family owned. Jack was a Hutchy Grammar boy, as was his father before him. They didn’t always see eye to eye on things but Mrs Gow usually managed to effect a compromise.
The Bristol bar was developed into a bar and catering business and was a popular rendezvous with sportsmen and members of the motor trade.
Jack Gow went on to own Montford House, Curtis Ave, and like his father Jack was heavily involved in the Scottish Licensed Trade.
Interior view of the Bristol Bar with William B Gow and his son Jack. 1951.
Here are some principal personalities who attended the smoker dinner held at Belmont House, Glasgow, by the Cowcaddens Ward of the Glasgow Association in 1962. Left to right: Mr G Ramster, Glasgow Association Office; Mr H Doherty, Symposium Bar, Cowcaddens Street; Mr N Jones, Cross Keys, St. Peter’s Street; Mr J Dougan, Dougan’s Bar, Springburn Road; Mr R Lemon, Lemon Tree, Parliamentary Road (Ward Convener); Mr W J Bennet, Port Dundas Road; Mr W B Gow, Bristol Bar, Cowcaddens; Mr J Lanagan, Maitland Street; Mr T F Flynn who succeeded Mr Gow as president of the Glasgow Association; Mr D McNiven, Argyle Arms, Kennedy Street; and Mr W J McDowall, Secretary, Glasgow Association.
81 Renfield Street, Glasgow. G2. Tel: 01413532807.
Cafe Cini. 1991.
To read more on the history of this pub, please check back for my second book.
This city centre pub has 21 years remaining on the lease. An asking price of offers over £39,000. September 2005.
During the 1970s and 80s this pub was called McArthur Park.
McArthur Park 1980s.
Many will also remember this trendy pub as Targets.
In the NEWS 1978…
Targets Bar 1978.
Glasgow’s latest lounge bar is scoring a direct hit with all its customers.
That’s not really surprising, since it’s called Targets Bar.
It’s not hard to see where Targets Bar gets its name. Beside the front entrance door in Renfield Street is a huge rifle target, guaranteed to stop most passers-by.
And the interior is just as unusual… one wall has another huge rifle target on it. In charge of Targets’ decor was Mr Eric Cadenhead, whose company are architects and interior designers.
It was he who decided on the target theme for the new lounge bar and he chose the modern and extremely attractive colour scheme of reds and mauve. As well as selling “normal” drinks Targets also serve cocktails with exotic names like Tequila Sunrise, Moscow Mule and believe it or not, Believe It Or Not, a mixture of Vodka, Apricot Brandy and Grand Marnier.
Targets Bar advert 1978.
At the moment there is no live music in Targets, but there is background music to help soothe those ragged nerves you’ve cultivated during a day’s hard slog at work. Bar snacks are available at lunchtimes.
The subdued lighting lends itself to a sophisticated atmosphere. But because of its position, almost opposite two cinemas, it is also a great place to pop into for a pre-movie tipple.
Targets Bar is open six days a week from 11-2.30 p.m. and from 5-11 at night.
Another name this bar had was Scrupples, and the Picador.
This popular bar is now called The Bay Horse, 2012.
71 Renfield Street, Glasgow. G2 1LP. Tel: 0141 333 9725.
De Quincey’s. 1991.
The Old Rangoon was here for a short while but reverted back to its popular former name De Quincey’s, named after Thomas de Quincey.
Situated in the basement is a popular bar called Balsa formerly known as Brahms and Liszt.
134 Renfield Street, Glasgow, G2 3AU.Tel: 01413322541.
In the 1920s this was known as The Criterion Restaurant.
In 1931 John McDougall took over, for many years John was licensee of the Empire Buffet Bar in West Nile Street. On the death of Mr McDougall the licence was transferred to his daughter.
The Atholl has been set on fire a few times since, but its now a trendy café bar in close proximity of the Pavilion Theatre and the Glasgow Herald and Evening Times office.
During the Second World War Miss McDougall was Licensee, the Atholl Arms as it was then known filled thirty four collecting boxes for the Navy League Comforts Fund, a total of £102 2 shillings and 6 pence was raised. This was due to the grand work of Mrs Edith Cane, she worked in the Atholl for many years.
On the outbreak of the war Mrs Cane was serving as a stewardess on the British liner which was sunk by an enemy surface raider while on route for India. When the Captain ordered ABANDON SHIP the enemy continued to fire, shelling many of the lifeboats killing and wounding many soldiers.
During the six days and nights on the lifeboat Mrs Cane attended the wounded and for her outstanding services she received the Brave Conduct Badge and the Oakleaf Emblem.
Before the war Mrs Cane was employed by Mr Matthew Hendry, in the Wellington Bar, Wellington Street.
The Wellington Bar was opposite the old Waterloo Rooms and next to the famous Alhambra Theatre.
When she went to sea Mr Hendry and the customers presented her with a gold watch which she unfortunately lost on her thrilling wartime voyage.
The Atholl Arms was refurbished in 1968. The first pint was pulled by comedian Johnnie Beattie.
In the NEWS 1978…
The Atholl Arms in Renfield Street is a typical Glasgow pub with a warm and cosy atmosphere. The pub was closed for two months while it was given a complete face-lift inside and out, and reopened just under two weeks ago.
Mr Sandy Chalmers has been mine host at the Atholl Arms for twelve years now and takes pride in being on first name terms with all his regular customers. He is particularly pleased with the interior decoration of the pub and feels that the warm red upholstery makes customers feel really at home.
The Atholl Arms has always provided snacks, and this service has been reintroduced since the pub reopened.