1401 Gallowgate, Glasgow. G31 4EX.Tel: 01415548083.
There has been a pub here since at least 1847 when John Murray was trading from the old premises. John Worton took over the old business around 1880. Mr Worton had the old premises demolished in 1902 and a new tenement with a pub on the ground floor was erected in 1904. This pub was known by the locals as High Worton’s and John Worton’s other pub at 129 Westmuir Street was called Low Worton’s. The business stayed in the Worton family for over one hundred years.
John Worton was born in England around 1844, he lived with his wife Sarah, 2 sons and 4 daughters in the old pub at the corner of Ewing Place and Great Eastern Road now the Gallowgate. They were fortunate enough to have a domestic servant Liz who worked for the family for many years.
When the new pub was built in 1904 the family moved to Glencoe Villa in Shettleston.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or click here