26 Anderston Quay, Glasgow. Demolished.
21 Anderston Quay, Glasgow. G12 8HH.
Off the Record. 1991.
Off the Record was a favourite amid the Daily Record Staff. It was sited in the shadow of the Kingston Bridge and facing the River Clyde. The ground that it stood on will be used to create more housing in the area.
60-61 Anderston Quay, Glasgow. G3. Demolished.
James Alexander’s Bar.
Alexander’s sat at the corner of Anderston Quay and Hydepark Street facing the river Clyde.
The pubs history can be traced back to 1886 when Wine & Spirit Merchant James Ferguson acquired a licence 20/04/1886. Mr Ferguson continued to serve the locals here for many years and prospered. Most of the pubs along the River Clyde were frequented by sailors’, mariners’ and foreigners from all over the world, one of their first stops would have been one of the many public houses that stretched along the Clyde.
At the end of the 19th James Ferguson also ran a pub at 221 Buchanan Street (Fingals). One advantage that Mr Ferguson had was that, he owned the premises on Anderston Quay.
James lived at 34 Dunearn Street at the turn of the 20th century and by 1904 the premises were taken over by George Alexander who acquired the certificate 21/04/1904. The name above the door now had George Alexander with Wine & Spirit Merchant on either side of his name. George held the licence till the late 1930s then Jean Robertson Alexander took over the running of the pub. Jean lived at 2 Crown Mansions, North Gardner Street in the west end of the city.
Jean was related to another family of Glasgow publicans’, her father Angus Robertson owned a public house at 131 George Street at the corner of 52 Albion Street. Jean also took over this pub in the 1950s from Helen Robertson the licensee.
Another generation of Alexander’s took over the pub in the 1960s James Alexander, and the name above the door of the pub was now Alexander’s, he also took over the George Street premises.
James was the last of the Alexander’s to run the pub and was sold to Brian and brother Gerard McCabe on 19th October 1971. The McCabe brothers took over these premises in 1971 but it took until 1973 before it reopened as Off the Record. The former Alexanders was demolished to make way for the modern Off the Record.
Off the Record. 1991.
The McCabe family held the pub until 1982 and was sold to Dryburgh brewers. It
closed due to the relocation of the Daily Record to Cardonald area.
Brian McCabe, and brother, Gerard are the sons of Joseph McCabe, that owned the Forum Lounge in Kelso Street, Yoker and formerly of the Kick Off Bar on Rutherglen Road, Gorbals.
The McCabe family also owned “The Little Mill Vaults” on Rutherglen Road, Oatlands in the mid 1970s this was renamed “The Wee Mill” as this was the name by which the locals called it.
The Wee Mill was sold to football legend Joe McBride in 1978 prior to its demolition in the 1990s.
Gerard McCabe was also the owner and licensee of the Halt Bar, Woodlands Road during the 80s. He had previously opened the “Fiddlers Bar, Fortrose Street, Partick.
Do you know anything about this pub? If so please get in touch.
26 Anderston Quay, Glasgow. G3 8BG. Demolished.
The Copy Cat. 1991.
The Copy Cat has been hit by the bulldozers like all the other pubs in this area. Not one of the historic pubs have survived here since the developers have upgraded the entire area with fancy flats and office buildings.
The Cop Cat stood at the corner of Cheapside Street and was popular with the Daily Record staff, this is where the pub got it’s name.
Formerly known as the Dublin Vaults.
There has been a public house on this site since 1845. The first licensee was a gent called Govan Stewart. William Teacher even traded from this site from 1862 until 1876.
1990 Annie Houston, (Allied Breweries.)
1979 Manager John McCartney, (Lormier’s Breweries Ltd.)
1978 Daniel M Gordon, wine & spirit merchant, also 2231 Great Western Road.
1973 Dugald Stewart McIntyre.
1960 James Young.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.