111 Duke Street, corner of 2 John Knox Street, Glasgow.
The Shuna Bar sat at the corner of Duke Street and John Knox Street. This old east end pub stayed in the same family from 1863 until it was demolished in the late 1970s.
Neil Brown the founder of the business was born in Argyllshire and came to Greenock to set up as a wine & spirit merchant. Business was good for him and he opened other premises in nearby Port Glasgow. He lived with his family at Brisbane Street, Greenock before moving to better accommodation at Dunclutha House, Esplanade, Greenock.
He came to Glasgow in 1863 and opened a new public house at 111 Duke Street, the Shuna Bar and held the licence until 1891. The licence was then transferred to his son John who ran the pub successfully for many years. John lived with his wife Jane and had a large family of three daughters and four sons in Annfield Street.
After the First World War the licence was held by ladies of the family, firstly John’s daughter Annie then Jean Toner who married into the family, she held the licence until the pub was demolished in the late 1970s.