26 Anderston Quay, Glasgow. Demolished.
9 Drury Street, Glasgow. Demolished.
There’s been a public house on this site since 1844. John Hamilton a spirit dealer occupied the premises for a very short time and gave it up in 1848. Mr John Gibson and Mr MacKay also lasted a few years each before John Wylie a wine & spirit merchant took over in 1854. Wylie lived next door at 5 Drury Street and served the locals here until 1876.
In 1877 James Thomson, wine & spirit merchant occupied the premises until 1894.
John Forbes was granted a certificate to sell wines and spirits in 1895, he lived at 15 Alexander Street for many years. In 1899 he was paying an annual rent of £110. The pub stayed in the family until 1950s, in 1941 John Forbes was residing at Beaulah, Orchard Street, Motherwell.
During the 60s Robert Scott was licensee and by the 1970s Leslie Hope was trading from here on behalf of Tennent Caledonian Breweries Ltd.
In 1955 Safe Blowers broke into the Drury Bar, 9 Drury Street from the building upstairs and blow the safe stealing a large sum of money. In the 1950s it was very common for pubs getting broken into and safes being blow, this was probably due to the fact that explosives were still available after WW2.
Do you remember this old pub? if so please leave a comment.
517 Gallowgate, Glasgow.
Former Women’s President Dies.
In August 1970, Mrs Margaret Dick former President of the Glasgow and District Women’s Auxiliary Group (Licensed Trade), died in a Renfreweshire hospital.
Mrs Dick, wife of the late Mr Robert Dick, retired from the trade towards the end of 1966 after holding for 16 years the licence for Dick’s Bar, 517 Gallowgate, Glasgow, with which the Dick family had a long association.
Taking an enthusiastic interest in the activities of the Glasgow and District Women’s Auxiliary Group, she became their president in 1967, serving for two years in this capacity.
Among those attending the fureral service were several of Mrs Dick’s friends in the women’s auxiliary movement. Mrs Dick left a daughter.
Left to right Mr. and Mrs. T. Docherty; Mrs. J. Lindsay (Dick’s Bar, Gallowgate); and Mrs. and Mr. A. Gillies (The Clachan.) 1972.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at email@example.com