Ward’s Bar, Parkhead and Partick. 69 Westmuir Street, Glasgow.
814 Govan Road corner of 2-4 Water Row, Glasgow.
Windsor Lounge, Water Row, Govan. 1963.
The Windsor Lounge sat at the corner of Water Row and Govan Road. In 1880 William Robin was proprietor of this old public house, he also ran another establishment at 62-64 Thistle Street, Gorbals in the south side of the city, he live at 12 Sandyford Street. William was a well-known Spirit Merchant in the Licensed Trade in Govan and Glasgow as Govan was then not part of the City. After the First World War Mr Robin was paying an annul rent of £100 for the pub in Water Row, he continued to run the pub well into the 1900s.
During the 1930s a Mr A Philip was landlord, he served the locals here for many years and some will still remember him as he was still the licensee until the 1960s, the pub was demolished around 1963.
342 Cumberland Street corner of 2 Naburn Street, Gorbals. S.S.
The Windsor Bar with a hole in the ceiling. 1960.
In 1960 Raiders dropped in on a Glasgow Public House…
The pub was the Windsor Bar at the corner of Cumberland Street and Naburn Street, Gorbals.
The raiders, who dropped in through a hole in the roof, escaped with 16 bottles of whisky, five bottles of rum, 2000 cigarettes, and about £10. They got in by climbing into a loft in a near-by close in Cumberland Street and making their way to an empty house above the pub.
HOLE IN ROOF…
The bottles of whisky and rum and the cigarettes were stolen from the gantry and the cash from the till. A detective constable followed the route taken by the intruders from the close through the loft, to the hole they had made in the public house roof.
The discovery of the break-in was made by barmen when they arrived to start work. They phoned the police.
There has been a pub on this site since 1879. William Paton a wine and spirit merchant took over and continued to serve the locals until 1884.
John Anderson then took over followed by Robert Anderson a relative of John’s probably his son. The Anderson family continued in the pub until 1950. William Hutchison took over in 1951 until the pub was demolished in the 1970s.
This old pub must have been very successful as there were only a few different families that held certificates for this local.
Do you remember this old pub, if so please get in touch.
196-98 Stobcross Street, Glasgow.
Wilson’s Bar. 1890.
To read the history of Wilson’s Bar and his other famous premises. Click here.
In 1891 William Flockhart, manager of Wilson’s Bar, Stobcross Street, Glasgow celebrated an interesting and pleasant ceremony which took place in the pub. The occasion being the completion by Mr Flockhart of eleven years in this establishment. A select party sat down to supper, the chair being occupied by Mr H Sheppard. After supplying in inner man, Mr John Davidson of 95 Waterloo Street, in an appropriate speech, referred to the pleasure he had, in the name of a few friends, of presenting Mr Flockhart with a handsome gold albert watch and badge, the latter bearing a suitable inscription expressive of their esteem and good wishes for his future. Mr Flockhart suitably replied, and a pleasant evening was thereafter spent in harmony and song. Among those present were, Messrs. James Gillespie (Gray & Co.) Lang (Brown & Lang) S Briton, cigar merchant, London and Adam Smith, who acted as secretary on the occasion.
Mr William Flockhart. 1892.
Mr Flockhart got his extensive training with wine and spirit merchant William Brechin, He was heavily involved in the consolidating the Glasgow Wine, Spirit and Beer Trade Employees’ Benevolent Institution and was elected President. At the age of twenty eight he was one of the youngest men to hold that position.
52 Fortrose Street, Glasgow.
Wickets Hotel, 52 Fortrose Street advert 1975.
Una McLean and Johnny Beattie visit the Wickets Hotel. 1976.
Other licensed premises on Fortrose Street…
723 Gallowgate, Glasgow.
Mr James Cush. 1890.
To read the history of Mr Cush Click here.
The Whitevale Bar sat at the corner of Gallowgate and Slatefield Street.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
West Regent Street, Glasgow.
Whitehall restaurant advert 1974.
This was originally owned by brothers George and John MacLachlan.
The Whitehall. 1977.
Old Dumbarton Road, Partick.
Thomas Fairbairn’s painting shows the Wheat Sheaf Inn at the eastern end of Old Dumbarton Road. The inn was popular with Glaswegians who walked from the city along the Anderston Walk to Partick and the banks of the River Kelvin, to take in the scenery and the country air. It was demolished at the end of the 19th century.
124 Crown Street corner of 105 Rutherglen Road, Gorbals, Glasgow.
The Wheatsheaf Bar, corner of Crown Street and Rutherglen Road. 1960s.
There has been licensed premises on this site since the 1840s.
One of the first licensee’s was wine and spirit merchant Robert Frame, he traded here until 1859.
In 1860 well known and respected John McLean acquired the licence. Mr McLean was a wine & spirit & malt liquor merchant, he also had premises at 9 Main Street, Gorbals, living at 318 Rutherglen Road.
In 1877 John McLean had premises at 9 Main Street, Gorbals, 124 Crown Street, 45-47 Houston Street and lived with his family at Mary Lodge, Langside.
In 1899 John’s son Robert A McLean was licensee, he also had premises at 1039-1043 Pollokshaws Road (Corona Bar), 9 Main Street, 79 Crown Street, his home was at Cart Bank, Langside. All his premises had His name above the Door. As years went on some of his bars were just called Mac’s Bar’s.
The pub stayed in the same family until 1909. The licence was then taken over by James A Paton. Mr Paton wine and spirit merchant continued as licensee until his death in 1918. His wife Helen then took over the running of the business. The Paton family continued here until the late 1930s.
In 1937 Patrick Leonard acquired the certificate. He also owned a public house at 14 Pitt Street.
During the 50s Miss K E Finnegan was licensee, the 60s Margaret M MacDonald, she also ran a pub at 106 Gorbals Street. The licence was held until the late 1960s and like many of the old pubs in the area was demolished.