The Tontine Hotel.
The Tontine Hotel was situated at Glasgow Cross on the Trongate.
Another view of the Trongate with the Tontine Hotel on the left.
Trongate with the Tontine Hotel c 1870s. The Tontine Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1911.
In 1795, the Assembly Rooms, in Ingram Street, were built as a Tontine, with subscriptions of £20 per share. The building latterly became the Athenaeum, and when it was acquired for post office purposes, the main doorway, with window above, was re-erected as the entrance to Glasgow Green at London Street, through the generosity of Bailie James McLennan. In 1816, another Tontine was formed under the name of the Glasgow Tontine Society.