Ward’s Bar, Parkhead and Partick. 69 Westmuir Street, Glasgow.
91 Westmuir Street, Parkhead, Glasgow.
David Anderson’s Auld Hoose. Circa 1910.
In 1892 the proprietor was Mr David Anderson, the pub was then called the Auld House. Mr Anderson collected antiquarian curios and fixed them on the walls in the bar. Over the years the place became cluttered with unusual things of interest, including a sea horse from the shores of the north of Iceland, in a grand glass, a fin of a whale captured in Rothesay Bay, a four week old crocodile from the eastern empire, the tusks of rhinoceros, antlers and the handle of one of the carriages in the ill-fated Tay bridge accident. Both the interior and exterior had an ancient look about it. Mr Anderson was a heavy smoker in his time, his wife always said that at night-time he would go outside for a smoke and would not come back in until 11 o’clock. Mr Anderson died in 1919 at his residence the Brae, Springboig and left an estate of £6753.
243 Westmuir Street,Parkhead, Glasgow. G31
This was known to the locals as low Worton’s after the owners name, high Worton’s was the Anchor Bar on the Gallowgate at Parkhead. Opened around 1910 by the Worton family.
The Anchorage Bar is now long gone. A new housing estate now occupies this site. A real gentleman Mr Tam Waters ran this pub for a few years before it was demolished. Mr Waters went on to successfuly run a pub in Balornock for years. The old mahogany bar survived until the late 1980s when the bar was gutted it closed shortly afterwards.