41 Finnieston Street, Glasgow. G3 8HB. Demolished.
The first licensee to own this pub was John Lawrence who obtained a certificate in April 1873. John was born in England in 1827. He met his wife and had a family in England before coming to Glasgow to set up business as a publican. In 1881 John was residing at 43 Finnieston Street with his wife Prudence, son William who was a butcher to trade and son John who assistance his father in the licensed trade.
John continued business here until 1907. In October 1908 the licence was taken over by Archibald Jackson. Mr Jackson refurbished the premises and putting his own decor into the pub and renamed the pub Jackson’s Bar.
Archibald Jackson made a good living out of the licensed trade. In 1921 he was living at 38 Randolph Gardens before moving to 58 Balshagray Avenue in 1941. Archibald’s also owned a public house at 82-84 Castlebank Street, Partick.
In 1919 Margaret Ann Swan Jackson was licensee of the pub on Castlebank Street. She was paying an annual rent of £65 for the pub.
During the 1960s the pub was licensed to Florence Mary McBride Jackson Griffins, she was also licensee of the Castlebank Street premises.
Throughout the pubs history only two different families owned it.
The pub was demolished in the mid 1960s.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.