Paxton’s, 199 Argyle Street, Glasgow.
Paxton’s Argyle Street.
Mr Matthew Paxton. 1887.
Matthew Paxton born 1839 in Leith, Edinburgh, his parents however were from Northumberland. He started work in Leith when he was a young man in Rutherford’s establishment well known not only in Edinburgh but in Glasgow as Wine and Spirit Merchants and Restaurateurs. Young Paxton was subsequently assumed to management, following this he became manager of Rutherford’s in Jamaica Street, Glasgow. Matthew Paxton was well known in the City and was renowned for his smart and repartee and loud jolly laugh, similar to that of Santa Claus.
On the retirement of Walter Gibson Mr Paxton purchased his business in Argyle Street, just around the corner from Rutherford’s. Gibson’s was the home of the “Welsh rarebit” in Glasgow, a snack originally made from Kilmarnock cheese and Edinburgh ten quinea mild ale. Matthew completely gutted the old premises and turned it into one of the best bars and restaurants in town, occupying three floors this magnificent establishment was thee place to dine, one could also have a drink and smoke in one of the many rooms, Matthew changed the name above the door to “Paxton’s”. Matthew was a director of the Scottish Wine & Spirit Merchants Benevolent Institution for many years. Mr Paxton and his wife Mary were the proud parents of five sons and two daughter, he died in 1905 at his residence Sydenham Villa, Battlefield, Langside. His famous business was taken over by the Bell family and became well known as the Queen Anne Restaurant, it was destroyed by fire in 1951, the famous Arnott Simpson’s store was also destroyed.