37 Watt Street, Southside, Glasgow.
Alex’s Bar, 1930s.
This photograph was taken after alterations in 1940. The pub was named after the proprietor Alexander MacDonald who held the licence until the end of the Second World War.
There has been a pub on this site since the 1870s, owned by Alexander L Jeffrey. Mr Jeffrey also own a pub on Norfolk Street, south side, this old pub became known as Wester’s Bar.
John Callaghan behind the bar.
Mrs Christina Jeffrey took over the licence when here husband died and continued in the trade until 1899. The pub was sold to Joseph Muir in 1901, he continued to serve the locals here until the end of the First World War.
The pub was demolished in the 1970s, the last licensee was John Callaghan.
This old pub was also known as the Flyover when the Kingston Bridge was being erected.
1973-1968 John Callaghan.
1960 James McIntyre.
1947-1940 Alexander MacDonald.
1937 William Clark.
1919-1901 Joseph Muir.
1899 Christina Inglis Jeffrey.
1875 Alexander L Jeffrey.