499 Great Western Road, Glasgow. G12 8HN. Tel: 0141 334 0884.
Chimmy Chungas. 1991.
This was once a well known Victorian Grocery business located in the Cooper’s Building. It has changed it’s name since this photograph was taken and is now called Bar Oz.
This old building is now called Cooper’s.
The interior of Cooper & Co’s grocery shop in Great Western Road, c 1890s.
Cooper & Co was founded by Thomas Bishop in 1871 and became one of Scotland’s leading grocery shop chains. The building at 499 Great Western Road, famous for its French Renaissance facade and clock tower, was erected in 1886 and contained beautiful fixtures and fittings. The pillars are decorated with garlands of fruit and female faces at the bottom, with intricate plasterwork leaves and swirls at the ceiling. The floor has the typical multi-coloured tiling of the period. There are a wide variety of goods on display including fresh fruit and vegetables, tinned and bottled foodstuffs, mops and brushes.
The shop closed in the early 1980s and the premises were converted for use as a pub.
Thanks to Peoples Palace the Glasgow Story.
Do you know anything about this pub? If so please leave a comment.