69 Hutcheson Street, Glasgow. G1 1SH. Closed Down.
The Court Bar. 1991.
The Court Bar was established in 1881 by Gertrude Gifford. Gertrude was born in England in 1835, when she came to Glasgow with her parents at an early age she never found a partner and never married, she stayed with her mother Mary in the Gallowgate with a domestic servant Helen Bell until her death. She also owned a small pub in Glassford Street.
In 1885 Alexander Taylor took over the licence, he was a well known publican in the east end of the city having premises in Springfield Road. In 1899 Alexander was paying an annul rent of £45.00 for his pub in Hutcheson Street and £70.00 for his other premises.
Court Bar. 2006.
1908 a new licensee was serving the local here, William Simpson ran the pub until the end of the 1930s then his son took over until the end of the Second World War.
Popular and well respected Joseph Ingman then took over this popular bar. Mr Ingman was a native of Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham, Joe attracted Lawyers, Policemen, Surgeons, Journalists and the man in the street into the pub. The customers liked him that much they gave him a surprise party one night. Joe’s friends paid tribute to him in a unique presentation. He had turned up in the Court Bar one night, only to find that there wasn’t a regular customer on the premises. While he was reflecting on this a friend walked in and said: “Come on out for a wee drink. Joe.”
He was taken to Danny Brown’s in St. Vincent Street, shown into a reception room, and found all his regulars waiting to toast him. The big night out had been prepared in secret as a surprise and tribute to Joe, and was presented with a silver salver and crystal set.
Joe sadly died two years later in 1971.
Joseph Ingman second from the left. Playing Dominoes. The other men were friends of the Hanging Judge.
The photograph above was taken in 1970 it shows Joe Ingman and friends playing Dominoes. A gift was among the last bequests from one of Joe’s customers, the late Councillor William Cockburn, called The Hanging Judge, because of the heavy sentences he handed out while he was a police judge at the Govan and Central courts. He also left badges which he collected during his bowling days when he played against England, Ireland and Wales and Inter-City matches.
In 1971 Joe Ingman died at the age of 64. The Court Bar was a haunt to business men, lawyers, police, surgeons, journalists and the man in the street. The Court Bar stands in the shadow of the City’s Sheriff Court, now defunct. Mr Ingman was a native of Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham.
The pub still retains it’s 1950s decor with wall panelling and peach mirrored glass. At weekends the leather gay men frequent this well established hostelry.
Court Bar. 2009.
The Court Bar closed for good shortly after this image was taken.
1991 Patrica Bannigan.
1972 George Dodds.
1970 Joseph Ingman.
1950 Joseph Ingman.
1940 David Simpson.
1919 David A Simpson.
1907 Alexander Taylor.
1881 Miss Gertrude Gifford.
Hutcheson Street in 1787…
71 Hutcheson Street. Blue Bell Tavern, owned by William Hannah.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.