198-200 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow.
The derelict building of the Kelvinhaugh Vaults. 1960s.
The Kelvinhaugh Vaults were situated at the corner of Kelvinhaugh Street and Dock Street.
In the 1870s Peter Burt ran this old pub, it wasn’t until 1890 that David Ross took over the pub. Mr Ross was one of the most prominent publicans in the city of Glasgow, his empire of pub included The Gordon, Mitchell Street, The Waterloo Bar, Argyle Street, 90 North Woodside Road, 35 Clyde Place, 43 Grove Street, 35 Possil Road.
David Ross had two sons David and George, David lost his life in the great war, George became licensee and sole proprietor of the pubs when Mr Ross died in 1924. George continued a successful business until the 1940s.
William Grieg Rodger became a director in the 1944. Mr Rodger was long associated with the firm of David Ross & Sons Ltd. He was born in Bishopbriggs and trained as a joiner, he took intensive technical classes and at an early age became associated with Mr David Ross.
He looked after the many properties that Mr Ross owned. In his early days he followed in his father’s footsteps, in 1908 he was supervising the installation of a new malting plant at Duddington, Edinburgh and when he was released from the forces in 1919 he carried on as Mr Ross’s Master of Works.
When David Ross died in 1924 he continued under his son George, ultimately becoming store manager and taking stock of the numerous establishments which included, Mitchell Street, Argyle Street, Howard Street, Possil Road, Raeberry Street, Maryhill Road, Clyde Place, Kelvinhaugh Street, Canning Street, Maitland Street.
Mr Rodger had the misfortune to be involved in a hoist accident at Mitchell Street, this necessitating a prolonged rest and as a result resigned his directorship.
For 16 years Mr Rodger held a licence at Burnbank giving it up during the war. In his younger days he was a prominent cross country runner, winning the Western District Championship in 1909 after seven attempts.
He was captain of the West of Scotland Harriers and was picked for Scotland in 1913, one of his pupils, Harry Hughes was also selected.
William H Scott became secretary of the business in the 1960s, he became licensee and traded under the title of David Ross & Sons. By this time he had the Lorne Bar, Howard Street, 53 Cowlairs Road, 280 Maryhill Road, 90 North Woodside Road, 43 Grove Street, 198-200 Kelvinhaugh Street, 78 Mitchell Street and 306 Argyle Street.
The Kelvinhaugh Vaults were demolished in 1963 a few days after this photograph was taken.
William G Rodger. 1948.