Campbell Street, Hamilton.
Mr William Sutherland with his pet Greyhound “Bill Sykes”. 1903.
Mr William Sutherland proprietor of the Sutherland Arms in Campbell Street, Hamilton, might justly lay claim to be styled a self made man; indeed, as things go, he is really the architect of his own fortune. Born in the small town of Halkirk, about miles from Thurso. I the 1860s he inherited that fine healthy physique and sturdy constitution for which the natives of Caithness-shire are known throughout the country.
Indeed his early upbringing in the region of the hardy fisher folk fitted him admirably for the career that lay before him. Receiving his education at the good old Parish School of Halkirk, under the able tuition of Mr John Meiklejohn, one of the now extinct race of worthy dominie’s, he still retained pleasant memories of the playground and its surroundings.
Leaving school he was apprenticed to a shoemaker, but cribbed, cabined, and confined the monotony of life at the last and lapstone had no charms for young Mr Sutherland. A devoted student of his native music he was successful in receiving the appointment of under-keeper and piper to Sir Tollemache Sinclair on the Ulbster estate, a post that suited him admirably; but still in the restlessness of youth he was anxious to see more of his native country and next found himself journeying south to become under-keeper and piper to Colonel Outhwaite at North Berwick. This position he again vacated to fill the same post with Sir John Watson, of Earnock, afterwards to the Duke of Hamilton on his Doucharie estate, and latterly to Sir John Stirling Maxwell, when after remaining about two years he made his first venture as proprietor of the Royal Hotel, Larkhall, a business that prospered rapidly in his hands, and the value of which became greatly enhanced during the period of his proprietorship. He disposed of the Royal Hotel in 1900.
He then came to Hamilton, where he conducted the Sutherland Arms, a hostelry that came popular in Hamilton. Mr Sutherland was a bred sportsman, he took a keen interest in every description of outdoor recreation, but above all liked to handle the gun, he was an expert pigeon shooter and a keen dog lover. His hobby lies in the direction of sporting dogs, whose points he can weigh up at a glance. The photograph above was taken with his famous greyhound Bill Sykes a full brother to Long Glass a winner of the Waterloo Purse in 1900.
He was a member of the Hamilton Bowling and Curling Clubs, he was also an enthusiastic Freemason and took a loyal interest in the affairs of the Burgh as befits every good citizen.
Convenient to the Caledonian Station, trim built, snugly furnished and efficiently conducted, the Sutherland Arms was a place to know, while the quality and condition of the liquor and other refreshments were a delight to the visitors of the Sutherland Arms.