613 London Road, Bridgeton, Glasgow. G40 1NE. Tel: 01415540958.
There has been a pub on this site since at least 1875. Landlord David White was one of the most highly respected publicans in the east end of the city, having premises in Orr Street, Dalmarnock Road, Hunter Street, Barrack Street, East Waterloo Street, Duke Street, Canning Street and two pubs on the Gallowgate, all the pubs had the title David White & Sons above the doorway.
The address of this pub was Canning Street (London Road.)
To read more on the White family click here.
David’s son James ran the pub on Canning Street (London Road) after his father death along with pubs on Broad Street, Gallowgate, Barrack Street and Reidvale Street, other members of the family ran the other establishments. James was still serving the locals here after the First World War.
Another well known publican to run this old established pub was Edward Walker, the pub still bears his name. Eddy Walker served the locals here for many years, one of his loyal barmen James O’Hare took over as licensee in 1965, he too ran a successful business here for many years.
Included in this photo Mr A McGowan, Baird Taylor Ltd; Mrs McGowan; Mr E Walker, Mrs Walker; Mr J Fyfe, Baird Taylor Ltd; Mrs Fyfe; Mr J Walker, Ainslie and Heilbron Ltd, Mrs Walker; Mr P Gray, Baird taylor Ltd, Mrs Gray; Mr A McEwan, George Younger and Son Ltd, Mrs McEwan. 1960.
Walkers, London Road. August 2005.
Interior view of Walkers Bar left to right James O’Hare, licensee, Mr W MacInally and Mr John O’Hare. Mr Walker was on a trip to Australia when this photo was taken in 1970.