754 London Road, Glasgow.
William Aird took over this old public house in 1916. Formerly owned by John O’Hara, the address of this old pub was then 140 London Road. London Road as it is today runs from Glasgow Cross to Mount Vernon train station, in the early 1900s it was split into different sections, from Glasgow Cross it was called London Street, then Great Hamilton Street, where the Old Barns stands today, then Canning Street then London Road.
William Aird’s was a popular east end howff and was later became known as Stevenson Taylor’s. Situated near to the corner of Montgomery Street, and not far from Bridgeton Cross, there were six other public houses within a few hundred yards of William Aird’s establishment.
In 1883 William Aird was trading at premises at 29 Port Dundas Road at the corner of Garscadden Street, known as the Caledonia Bar, he later purchased a pub at 98 Dundas Street, this pub became famous in the 1930s as the Variety Bar owned by Scots comedian Jock Mills.
William Aird’s on London Road was later taken over by Matthew Edwin Taylor, who also owned pubs on the Gallowgate and Bishop Street, he belonged to the well known and respected family of Stevenson Taylor’s.After the 1960s Stevenson Taylor’s 754 London Road was demolished.
1960 Matthew Edwin Taylor.
1947 William Greenhorn.
1937-1916 William Aird.
1900 Charles O’Hara.
1899 John O’Hara.
1875 John Pinkerton.