163 McAslin Street corner of 99 Taylor Street, Glasgow. G4.
McAslin Street was formerly known as Albert Street.
Broon’s Bar dates back to 1881 when Matthew Galloway got his licence to sell wines, beers and spirits. Matthew lived at 86 Garthland Drive. By 1897 he was paying and annul rent of £65.00 for his pub in Albert Street (McAslin Street) and owned another pub at 205 Castle Street, this old pub was known as the “Grapes.”
During this time there were two other pubs on Albert Street the other was at 149 owned by landlord Robert Glover, and the Glebe Bar owned by Thomas Logan at number 63.
This popular pub was then taken over by James Hegan in 1917, the rent was then £60.00 a year.
In 1937 John McFarlane was landlord.
Mr McFarlane served the locals here until the early 1950s.
William Miller then took over the pub which was now known as Willy Miller’s Bar, before renaming it Broon’s Bar.
William Miller was a former Celtic and Clyde goal-keeper.
This image was taken in 1958 at the Glasgow Licensed Trade Association Dance.
left to right Mr H McCrostie, Whitbread’s; Mr & Mrs J Lundie, Cavendish Street; Mr & Mrs William Miller “Broon’s Bar”; Mr H L Jenkins, Whitbread’s; Mrs & Mr J K Hardie, Balmoral Bar; Mr F W Bowles, Whitbread’s.
William (Willie) Miller, Celtic goalkeeper. 1949.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.