39 Main Street, Rutherglen, Glasgow. G73 2JF. Tel: 01416133206.
Linn O Dee. 1991.
This well established Rutherglen pub was originally called the Thistle Vaults.
Owned by William Bartholomew in the late 1890s, he blended his own whisky the “Thistle” blend which was popular with the locals at that time. The interior of the premises as you walked in had a sitting room on the right hand side which was clean and neatly furnished, suitable for those who desire refreshments free from the intrusion of the bar.
To the rear of the premises there was a large spacious room capable of holding a large party and well suited for club and committee meetings. The walls were tastefully decorated with etchings and engravings of local sporting events. Electric bells were positioned throughout for quick service and a telephone booth was added in 1901. The family trade or off-sale was good business here for Mr Bartholomew.
The cellar was on the same level and stocked with good quality liquor including, Guinness, Worthington and Bass, Allsopp’s Lager, Watt’s Tyrconnell (Irish) and several Scotch whiskies. During winter months a special hot toddy was popular along with Bartholomew’s hot pie’s.
Mr Bartholomew’s family were connected with the licensed trade for more than a generation and were well known in the district of Dollar and Blairingone where his late father was proprietor of the Inn, his widow then took over the business after his death. His father’s uncle was proprietor of the Auchtertool Distillery in Fifeshire.
The Thistle Vaults with a young boy at the doorway, who was obviously employed in the premises, he probably worked in the cellar.
Mr Bartholomew was treasurer of the Rutherglen Wine, Spirit and Beer Trade Association and on the occasion of his marriage he was presented with a silver epergne by the members. In his spare time he played bowls with the Hutchesontown Bowling Club and loved curling. He was a Freemason of St. John’s Lodge no 347 and a Shepherd. He became a town Councilor of Rutherglen and played an important part in all Rutherglen events.
Update November 2009…
The Linn O Dee is now called The Picture House, major alterations and an extension to the premises have now been completed.
The Picture House 2009.
The Picture House extension 2009.
Thanks to Norrie McNamee for the images.
William Bartholomew in his younger days.
Councilor Bartholomew 1910.