42 Colinton Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow.
McGregor’s Bar. 1960s.
McGregor’s Bar sat at the corner of 42 Colinton Street and 2 Payne Street, Port Dundas formerly 42 Forth Street and 2 Bank Street.
There has been licensed premises here since 1841 owned by wine merchant John Miller, the name of the pub was “The Milton Tavern.” John sold up in 1855. The next licensee was William Bowie who only had the premises for one year.
The next proprietor to have the pub was Alexander Walker. Mr Walker had this prosperous business for a couple of years before his wife took over the licence, this may have been because of her husbands death. Mrs Walker sold up in 1866.
In 1868 wine and spirit merchant Hugh R Haddow took over the licence. Hugh was no beginner as he owned 2 other public houses, one at 1-3 Stewart Street and the other at 40 Cambridge Street. Mr Haddow lasted a year in these premises.
Next was J & A Latto a wine and spirit merchants who also had premises 1-2 Cranston Place and lived at 6 Cranston Street.
McGregor’s Bar, Colinton Street corner of Payne Street. 1960s.
In the 1870s Alexander Penman occupied these premises. Alexander was a wine and spirit merchant, he lived with his family at 70 Grove Street before moving to 34 Forth Street a few door away from his public house. Mr Penman sold up in 1880.
In 1881 Robert Young was licencee, he too only lasted a year in the premises. The pub lay empty for a few months before it was reopened again in 1883 by wine merchant James Rennie. James was a Greenock man and sold up to popular wine and spirit merchant Donald McGregor in April 1898.
Donald lived at 178 West Graham Street, Glasgow. This was the start of a great business for him and his family. Donald’s rent for the pub was £42 per annum. The name above the door was now McGregor’s Bar, a name that stayed with the pub until it was demolished in the 1960s.
Miss Johnann McGregor, Donald’s daughter, successfully ran the business before the First World War and continued to do so after the Second World War.
The pub was last owned by Alexander Innes Ingram, in the 1960s.
Another view of McGregor’s Bar. 1960s.
1960 Alexander Innes Ingram.
1947-1913 Miss Johnann McGregor.
1899-1898 Donald McGregor.
1875 Alexander Penman.
1865 Mrs Alexander Walker.
1860 Alexander Walker.
1855 John Miller.
Leave a Reply