122-26 Millburn Street, Glasgow.
Millburn Street in the Garngadhill area of Glasgow had a famous old pub called Murphy’s Old Mill Vaults. It was first licensed back in 1874 when James Muirhead acquired a certificate to sell wines, spirits and beer. Mr Muirhead lived with his family at 181 Garngad Road now Royston Road.
James Muirhead went on to own another pub at 382 Springburn Road, many will remember this old pub as Smith’s Kerry Inn. At this time Mr Muirhead moved house to 4 New Keppochill Road before moving to better accommodation to Viewfield Villa, Springburn. This meant business was very good. James continued as licensee until 1890.
In 1891 Margaret Flynn Murphy took over the business. Margaret was a very proud business woman having pubs at 124 Great Eastern Road (Gallowgate) called the Caledonian Wine & Spirit Vaults; 743-49 London Road (Springfield Vaults); 37 Preston Street (Waverley) and 53-55 West Scotland Street.
The Murphy family continued in this pub until it was demolished in the early 1960s. In 1920 Margaret McConnell was licensee then Mr J Murphy, Henry Francis Murphy ran the business in 1937 until the early 1960s.
In 1941 Henry F Murphy was living with his family at 184 Southbrae Drive, he also ran the pub at 548 St Vincent Street (The North Star Bar.)
In 1918 The Firm of Philip Flynn wine and spirit merchant, 59-61 Garngad Road, 745 London Road, 122-24 Millburn Street, 37 Preston Street, 16-22 Coulter’s lane has been dissolved owing to the retirement of Margaret Flynn Murphy. The Millburn Street premises (Murphy’s Old Mill Vaults), will be carried on in the future by Mrs Murphy and the other premises will be taken over by Philip, David Vincent and James Flynn under the style of Flynn Brothers.