530 Victoria Road, Glasgow. G42.
Queens Park Cafe. 1991.
There has been a pub on this site since 1870. Landlord John A McArthur occupied the premises until the middle of the 1870s, his wife Margaret then took control of the business after his death until 1885, when she sold the pub to Alexander Sutherland.
Mr Sutherland was fortunate enough to own the property and renamed the pub to Queen’s Park Cafe in the 1890s as this was the peak of the temperance movement. As the pub was situated in an exclusive part of the south side with tenements filled with ladies and gentlemen of the city, the pub was a target by the temperance movement and was under threat of closure. Mr Sutherland like many other city publican added the title Cafe to their premises.
Gilmour’s Oatmeal Stout was a specialty at Queen’s Park Cafe during the early part of the 1900s. After nearly 30 years trading in this pub, the Sutherland family sold it at the beginning of the First World War to Alexander Graham Harper. The Harper family continued in this pub until the 1960s. David Houston then took over as licensee until the late 1970s.
This popular south side local is still going strong, the late Mr Mark McManus of Taggart fame, the Scottish Television detective series drank here for years and regarded this as his local.
1978-1967 David Houston.
1960 M Harper.
1950 Jessa McFeat Jones Williamson for the late Jessie Harper.
1937 Jessie M F Harper.
1920-1914 Alexander Graham Harper.
1914-1886 Alexander Sutherland.
1885-1880 Mrs Margaret McArthur.
1875-1870 John A McArthur.
Other Victoria Road Pubs…
Calder the. 349
Depot the. 78
Nickie Tams. 500-510
Old Vic. 500-510