204 Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow. G22 5EP. Tel: 0141 336 3439.
The Standard Inn. 1991.
In 1883 David Runciman Graham was running a thriving business from here.
The name of the pub was then John Graham & Sons, also having pubs on Argyle Street, this old pub became known as the Rose Bar, 12 Stirling Street and a well known pub on the Gallowgate, this east end favourite became known as the Bellgrove Bar.
John Graham & Sons consisted of John Graham the founder of the business. John Graham’s sons were Archibald Bulloch Graham and David Runciman Graham, both were left to run the business on their own when father David passed away around 1886. Archibald took over 29-31 Stevenson Street in August 1887, 225-227 Gallowgate in August 1881, 69 Graeme Street now Bell Street in August 1887, 1-3 New Street / 2 Well Street, Calton in August 1887. David took over 204-206 Saracen Street in June 1883, 12 Stirling Street now Blackfriar Street in August 1887, 479 Bellgrove Street in August 1887, 419 Argyle Street / 95 Carrick Street in August 1887.
The Graham family ran this busy local in Possil until the 1930s. The licence was then transferred to James McAulay who occupied these premises for 30 years.
In 1967 Tennent Caledonian Breweries took control of the pub, the licensee was then John MacAdam, who was well known in the pub for years.
The Standard during the 1930s.