266 Bath Street, Glasgow. G2 4JP. Tel: 01413315171.
The Griffin 1991.
Designed by architect William Reid in 1903 for publican Duncan Tweedley. The original carved wood frontage is still intact however the original large etched glass windows are not. The interior bar counter has stayed intact as some of the old features including the ceiling.
When Tweedley was in occupancy of this pub it was named The King’s Arms, after the King’s Theatre across the Road.
There has been a pub on this site since 1865 owned by publican John Lawrie, Mr Lawrie was trading as aWine & Spirit Merchant in the city since the 1840s having pubs in 161-63 Sauchiehall Street, 151 Queen Street, and 16 Howard Street.
Duncan Tweedley took over the business from Martin Wallace in 1891, he had the old premises demolished and a new tenement with a pub on the ground floor erected in 1903.
The Griffin was named after publican William Griffin who occupied the pub during the 1960s and 70s. A new lounge and dining area was later installed and named the Griffini and Griffinette.
The Griffin. 2005.
The Griffin 1970s.
Interior view of the Griffin. 1970s.
Another view of the interior.