339-41 Gairbraid Street, Maryhill, Glasgow.
Mr Alexander McKenzie. 1892.
339-41 Gairbraid Street was later 991-99 Maryhill Road at Oran Street.
Many of the older generation will remember this old pub as McKenzie’s which was then renamed the Cabar Feidh and old Scots gaelic word meaning Stag’s Head.
The Cabar Feidh. with the Orange Walk passing the premises.
Alexander McKenzie was born in Blair Athol. In 1875 he came to Glasgow and started work in MacRae’s Hotel in Bath Street, after 2 years service he was promoted to the famous Caledonian Hotel in Oban. He missed the city life and came back to Glasgow to work for Mr Stewart in Gairbraid Street, Maryhill where he prospered from shopman to manager then to partner then sole proprietor. Alexander had his own blend of scotch whisky called “Caba Feidh” which was very popular with the locals of this old established Maryhill local. Mr McKenzie was a member of several societies, an ardent Free Mason, a burgess of Glasgow and a member of the Trades’ House, an Anderston Weaver, a Forester, a member of the Kelvin dock Curling and Maryhill Bowling Clubs as well as an honorary member of the Dumbartonshire Mounted Rifle Volunteers. He was a crack shot and was fond of angling.
In 1899 Maryhill had 21 pubs in it’s ward and from Celtic Street the top end of Maryhill to St. George’s Cross there was 31 pubs.
In 1888 there was a court case against Alexander McKenzie and Hugh Tennent, Brewery.
A small dept action was tried in the Glasgow Sheriff Court last month before Sheriff Spens, at the instance of John Graham, 212 West George Street, Glasgow, for the trustees of Hugh Tennent & Co., Wellpark Brewery, Cambuslang, against Alexander McKenzie, spirit merchant, Gairbraid Street, Maryhill, concluding for a sum of £10.00, being the value of a large mirror show card, which was the property of the said firm of Hugh Tennent & Co., and was alleged to have been left with McKenzie’s predecessor in the business for business purposes, and which he now refuses to deliver or give up, although repeatedly asked to do so.
Mr Thomas J Smillie, of Smillie & Blyth, writers, Glasgow, appeared for the defender, and stated as a preliminary objection that Graham had no right to sue in the name of the trustees of Hugh Tennent & Co., and also stated as a defence on the merits that the show card had been given in a present to McKenzie’s predecessor, and that they were not now entitled to demand restitution of it. The Sheriff, after hearing the pursuer, gave effect to Mr Smillie’s first contention and dismissed the action.
Gairbraid Street is now Maryhill Road.
1973-1966 Robert McBride, for Alexander McKenzie.
1960 Kenneth McKenzie.
1937 Neil McKenzie.
1919 – 1894 George Brownhill for Alexander McKenzie’s trustees.
1893-1888 Alexander McKenzie.