171 Great Hamilton Street, Glasgow. G40. Demolished.
Old Tavern. c 1916. Thanks to Mitchell Library.
This old Tavern was situated at the corner of Great Hamilton Street now London Road and Craignestock Street. There has been licensed premises here since 1845. The first licensee was wine and spirit merchant Robert McIssac.
I am not sure of the name of this old Tavern, however it was a very old one. In 1866 Bowman Miller was trading from here. Bowman lived next door from the pub. He served the locals until 1888.
William H Parker took over in 1889, William was not new to the trade as he was licensee of a public house at 155 Graeme Street now Bell Street since 1885. Mr Parker’s public house in Bell Street sat at the corner of St John’s Place and next to St John’s Church. Mr & Mrs William Parker lived at 65 Great Hamilton Street a little west from his pub on London Road.
William H Parker’s wife Margaret took over the as licensee of both pubs in 1896 possibly as her husband concentrated on his other business as a Telegraph Office and Newsagent at 174 Great Hamilton Street which was across the road from the pub. William, Margaret and family were now living at Monteith Row an exclusive address in those days, so business was good. Margaret continued as licensee just before the First World War. By this time the pub on Graeme Street was closed down.
The pub and the tenement building was demolished in 1916. The Parker family ceased to trade and the business across the road was also closed. It wasn’t until 1920 that son John B Parker acquired a licence at new premises at 171 Great Hamilton Street. In 1928 the address was changed to 431 London Road. John continued as licensee until the 1940s.
However John continued as a Newsagents, Stationers, and Tobacconist, at 581 Alexandra Parade, and was living at 27 Aberfeldy Street.
During the 1950s and 60s the pub was run by Denis McEneny then William Donnelly. The City Council saw that the old tenements in the east end of the city were in need of demolition this resulted in the loss of many shops and pubs disappearing for good during the 1960s and 70s.
London Road. 1968. The white building is where William Donnelly had his business.
Today London Road starts from Glasgow Cross to Mount Vernon where Mount Vernon railway station stands. However in the 19th century this stretch of road had four different addresses from Glasgow Cross to Ross Street was known as London Street.
From Ross Street to Craignestock Street it was called Great Hamilton Street.
From Craignestock Street to Bridgeton Cross was Canning Street.
From Bridgeton Cross onwards was London Road.
London Street had 7 public houses.
Great Hamilton Street had 10 public houses.
Canning Street 10 public houses.
London Road had 20 public houses.
Total 47 pubs.
Do you remember this old pub or any of the 47 pubs on London Road? If so please leave a comment.