61 Kilmarnock Road, Shawlands, Glasgow. G41 3YR. Tel: 0141 649 2745.
The Village. 1991.
61 Kilmarnock Road, Shawlands, Glasgow. G41 3YR. Tel: 0141 649 2745.
The Village. 1991.
50-60 King Street, Glasgow. G1 5QT. Tel: 0141 553 1638.
Today 2007 the pub is called the 13th Note.
13th Note. 2005.
13th Note Tel: as above.
35 Kent Street, Calton, Glasgow. G40 2SR. Tel: 01415522461.
Traders Tavern. 1991.
The Traders Tavern is situated in the heart of the Glasgow Barras at the corner of Kent Street and Stevenson Street.
There has been licensed premises here since 1779. In 1900 the licence had been in existence without a break for 120 years.
In 1872 Alexander and son John White went into partnership to run this very old pub, Alexander was then licence holder and the partnership lasted until 1877 when John became sole proprietor.
John White attended Murdoch’s school where he learned French and Latin, when he was a teenager he would teach older men at evening classes in the same school. He travelled all over the world including America, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Gibraltar, Algiers and Morocco. John was an authority on Spanish Bullfighting and on various occasions toured Portugal and Spain.
John was an honorary member of the Forresters, a member of the Anderston Weavers Society and Deacons and Free Presses, the Incorporation of Bonnet Makers and Dyers, the Eastern Merchants Association, Clydesdale Merchants Society and a Free Mason in Killwinning Lodge, he was also a member of the Benevolent and the Defence Associations. He held in Bond a fine stock of whisky including Long John, Glenlivet, Coleraine and wines. Mr White also held one of the finest libraries in the east end of the city. If this was not enough for John to keep his mind occupied, in his spare time he would be seen rowing Loch Leven fishing for trout.
John White had a good sence of humour, when a rep called to see him, he would smile and say “I am the best educated man in this company, the strongest and the richest, and yet I never mention a word about it.“
In 1899 John commissioned architect George Bell to draw up plans for renovation of the pub. George Bell was well known for some of the best architectural work in the city of Glasgow including MacSorley’s, Jamaica Street and the Grosvenor, Gordon Street.
The exterior of the pub had large flowered and frosted plate glass windows looking into both streets. Both entrances were fitted with new collapsible iron gates with mosaic laid vestibules, the bar area was 458 square feet, unbroken by partitions which gave the interior a light and airy open plan. The gantry was placed within an oval mahogany bar counter which was a work of art. Tables and chairs were placed round the bar. Three furnished sitting rooms with tiled grates and hearths. A new tiled lavatory and toilet was also fitted. The cellar had four departments, all the bottling and blending of malt whisky was done here. The pub was also fitted for the first time with electric lighting and electricity.
In 1916 John became very ill, he was 62 years of age and could not continue as licensee, the licence was transferred to his wife Annie. Annie continued as licensee until 1940s. William Cummings took over the pub during the 1950s as did Mr Donnelly. In 1966 Mary Anderson took over as licensee then Mary Quin, the pub is still in the Quin family today. 2012.
William Cummings Bar on the left with customers on Kent Street 1955.
Donnelly’s Bar 1950s with Dick Lee (Cockney Jock) on the right selling dolls on Kent Street.
Traders Tavern. 2005.
Traders Tavern, with the top landing chopped off. 2012 Thanks to Norrie McNamee.
Mr John White with his son. 1899.
On 25th March 1920 Annie White was convicted and admonished for having by the hands of her waiter supplied two men with liquor at 10-50am on 18th November. The waiter who supplied the whisky was fined £20.00. The price of the whisky supplied should have been 1 shilling and 8 pence per gill.
2005-1991 Mary Quinn.
1973-1966 Mary Anderson.
1937-1916 Annie Walker White.
1916-1886 John White.
1877-1872 Alexander White.
1872-1871 John Aitken.
1858-1856 Neil Carmichael.
1845-1828 John Young.
1815 Charles Alexander.
36 Kelvingrove Street, Glasgow. G5 9PF. Tel: 0141 564 1157.
The Sister’s Restaurant is a great place in the west end for taking someone special for a fab meal. Photo taken in 2008.
This great eaterie was formerly called Air Organic.
Advert for the Bombardier.
Another name for the premises owned by the Reo Stakis organisation. 1970.
31-35 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow.
Sutherland, Ship Inn Bar. Thanks to Alan Calder for this wonderful image.
Mr Calder’s father and a couple of his uncles are in the photograph. The bus was about to leave for Hampden Park for a Scotland V England game.
There has been a public house on this site since 1862. The first licensees’ were brothers John and Ronald McIntyre, and traded under the title of J&R McIntyre, Wine & Spirit Merchants.
The brothers first acquired a licence to sell wines and spirits at 179 Main Street, Anderston from 1860. The following year they opened another pub at 43 Richard Street, John and Ronald lived at 33 Kelvinhaugh Street this house was was situated next door to there new public house in 1862.
In 1870 the brothers were trading as wholesale and retail wine and spirit merchants, by this time they were also trading at Cranstonhill where they had their offices and stores.
John was now living at 4 Gray Street and Ronald at 9 Minerva Street.
Business kept growing by 1875 Ronald was licensee for premises at 35 Kelvinhaugh Street, 10 Cranston Street and 50 Elderslie Street while John was licensee at 546 Dobbies’ Loan and 400 New City Road, 179 Main Street, Anderston.
In 1885 J & R McIntyre were trading from 179 Main Street, Anderston; Cranstonhill; 50 Elderslie Street; 400 New City Road; 546 Dobbies’ Loan; 28 Burnside Street; 43 Richard Street; 49 Piccadilly Street; 175 Finnieston Street (Dirty Dicks); 35 Kelvinhaugh Street; Offices and stores at 16 Cranston Street, Cranstonhill. A great achievement for two brothers who started out in 1860.
In 1886 the pub at 35 Kelvinhaugh Street was sold to Adam Sutherland and a new name was put above the door. “Sutherland” with wines and spirits at each side of his name. Mr Sutherland was also a wine and spirit merchant, when he took over the pub in 1886 he was living at 49 Old Dumbarton Road.
Adam passed away in 1893 at which time his widow Robina took over the licence. Robina acquired the certificate 19th April 1893, and had an annul rent of £62 for the premises. Mrs Sutherland continued as licensee until after the First World War and passed away in 1920.
Her son Adam then took over the running of the pub as executor, he was assisted by his two sister while he was on Military Service. When the Second World War broke out Peter Sutherland was running the pub.
In 1950 John Barbour was licensee, he also ran a pub at 278 Main Street, Bridgeton (Park Bar.) One of the last licensee was a Mr Allan Anderson, he worked for Tennent Caledonian Breweries. The pub was demolished in the 60s.
456 Keppochhill Road, Glasgow. G21 1HY.
Sweeney Todd’s. 1991.
Other names this old pub, The Auld Hoose, Rockerfellow’s.
In 1873 Cowcaddens wine & spirit merchant John Caldwell was licensee for a new pub on this site. Mr Caldwell ran a small pub on Milton Street before taking on this new public house. John was born in Houston, Renfrew, he met Mary from Dollar and were married. Their six children were all born in Dollar, John started in the licensed trade as a wine & spirit merchant in 1862 at premises 37 Milton Street, Cowcaddens.
The Auld Hoose sitting at the corner od Scone Street. Circa 1930s.
John was living not far from this pub but soon moved to better accommodation with his family to Kilmalcolm House, Scotia Street and then on to Tandle Hill, Kilmalcolm. Mr Caldwell became very successful in the licensed trade opening other premises the Milestone Bar on Garscube Road, he also had the advantage of owning the property of all his pubs.
In 1899 the Milton Street premises were sold on to publican John Baxter, his other two properties on Garscube Road and Keppochhill Road were taken over by Thomas Wilson. Thomas like Mr Caldwell ran a successful business here for over thirty years.
Thomas was born in Killearn, Stirlingshire, he came to Glasgow where his father started business in the Cowcaddens, he obtained his first rudimentary training in the licensed trade. Thomas then went on to work with James Anderson, publican in Parliamentary Road, a few years later he was appointed charge hand in John Caldwell’s, 37 Milton Street. In his capacity he remained for the long period of fifteen years, when as a fitting and well-merited reward for his faithful services he was assumed a partner, an arrangement that lasted for another fifteen years.
The old pub on Garscube Road was demolished and a new four storey building with a new pub on the ground floor was erected in 1909 by his son architect James Wilson.
The pub was again sold to the Grant family in 1930, William Grant was licensee for over twenty years, his wife Alice then continued in the pub from 1952. The family ran this pub until the 1980s.
The pub was named Sweeney Todd’s after the owner Margaret Sweeney. The pub was demolished a few years ago.