31-35 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow.
Sutherland, Ship Inn Bar. Thanks to Alan Calder for this wonderful image.
Mr Calder’s father and a couple of his uncles are in the photograph. The bus was about to leave for Hampden Park for a Scotland V England game.
There has been a public house on this site since 1862. The first licensees’ were brothers John and Ronald McIntyre, and traded under the title of J&R McIntyre, Wine & Spirit Merchants.
The brothers first acquired a licence to sell wines and spirits at 179 Main Street, Anderston from 1860. The following year they opened another pub at 43 Richard Street, John and Ronald lived at 33 Kelvinhaugh Street this house was was situated next door to there new public house in 1862.
In 1870 the brothers were trading as wholesale and retail wine and spirit merchants, by this time they were also trading at Cranstonhill where they had their offices and stores.
John was now living at 4 Gray Street and Ronald at 9 Minerva Street.
Business kept growing by 1875 Ronald was licensee for premises at 35 Kelvinhaugh Street, 10 Cranston Street and 50 Elderslie Street while John was licensee at 546 Dobbies’ Loan and 400 New City Road, 179 Main Street, Anderston.
In 1885 J & R McIntyre were trading from 179 Main Street, Anderston; Cranstonhill; 50 Elderslie Street; 400 New City Road; 546 Dobbies’ Loan; 28 Burnside Street; 43 Richard Street; 49 Piccadilly Street; 175 Finnieston Street (Dirty Dicks); 35 Kelvinhaugh Street; Offices and stores at 16 Cranston Street, Cranstonhill. A great achievement for two brothers who started out in 1860.
In 1886 the pub at 35 Kelvinhaugh Street was sold to Adam Sutherland and a new name was put above the door. “Sutherland” with wines and spirits at each side of his name. Mr Sutherland was also a wine and spirit merchant, when he took over the pub in 1886 he was living at 49 Old Dumbarton Road.
Adam passed away in 1893 at which time his widow Robina took over the licence. Robina acquired the certificate 19th April 1893, and had an annul rent of £62 for the premises. Mrs Sutherland continued as licensee until after the First World War and passed away in 1920.
Her son Adam then took over the running of the pub as executor, he was assisted by his two sister while he was on Military Service. When the Second World War broke out Peter Sutherland was running the pub.
In 1950 John Barbour was licensee, he also ran a pub at 278 Main Street, Bridgeton (Park Bar.) One of the last licensee was a Mr Allan Anderson, he worked for Tennent Caledonian Breweries. The pub was demolished in the 60s.