President of the Tradeston Division, Glasgow Licensed Trade Defence Association.
Mr David McCall.
David McCall was born in Greenock and came to Glasgow at an early age where he received his education and his first start in his business career. At the outset Mr McCall was engaged in the flour milling industry and spent a matter of ten years with the firm of Harvie & McGavin. Subsequently he joined the staff of Messrs. Thomson Brothers & Cameron, flour and grain merchants where he remained for a decade, part of that time being devoted to travelling. Mr McCall then became associated with the provision trade, through Messrs. Robert Walker & Co., and with them he opened up their special south journey.
In 1886 David entered into the licensed trade an acquired the “Old Black Bull” at 9 Bedford Street, Gorbals. The Old Black Bull was one of the oldest established licensed houses and landmarks in the old Gorbals Parish, it was originally situated in Main Street but the licence was transferred by Mrs Boyle, McCall’s predecessor. The old swinging sign was also moved to the new premises and was one of the oldest signs in Glasgow. David made considerable improvements to the premises and greatly increased the trade. Six years later he purchased another public house at 56 Hospital Street, Gorbals.
Mr McCall had an interest in the trade defence work for many years and became vice president of the Tradeston Division in 1897, in the spring the following year he was elected president in succession to David Bowman. Mr McCall was also a member of the Scottish Wine and Spirit Merchants Benevolent Institution, an ardent Free Mason of Lodge St. Vincent No. 553 and a member of the Eastern Clydesdale and Southern Merchants Association. He further showed his cosmopolitan spirit by helping on as a member of the Third Lanark, the national game of football and indulged occasionally in a quite sprint in the country.
In 1899 Bedford Street had 6 public houses, while Hospital Street had 9.
Mr McCall’s rent for the premises in Bedford Street was £49.00 and Hospital Street was £45.00
The Buck Head, Hamilton Street, Greenock.
Mr James McRobert. 1887.
The Buck Head was one of the oldest Inns in Greenock, Mr Brodie was landlord of the inn from around 1862, he sold the property to his son-in-law James McRobert after 25 years service to the public.
The Criterion Vaults, Rothesay.
Councillor McQueen. 1887.
Mr D W McQueen was born and bred in Greenock but spent most of his life on one of Scotlands best known holiday resort the Island of Rothesay. After an apprenticeship with a wine firm in London, Mr McQueen graduated with the eminent firm of Messrs. R Thorne & Sons, Greenock, whom he represented through the Western Highlands and settled down as a full blown boniface in Greenock, where he resided until he came to Rothesay in 1876.
Mr McQueen had previously been in business for many years in London and Liverpool. He had also crossed the Atlantic, residing in New York and other busy centres in the new world, but he got tired of America and came back to Scotland.
Mr McQueen was always a very busy man, he was one of the original committee when the National Defence League was formed and always took an active and prominent part in the proceedings of that Association. He was also involved in the press and had a popular column “What the Folks are Saying” in the mid-weekly Rothesay Express. He kept in touch with the newspaper men especially in the summer months as the Criterion was the favourite haunt of the press.
Mr McQueen was a popular Town Councillor, he was a great public speaker and always took a keen interest in Town affairs.