President of the Tradeston Division, Glasgow Licensed Trade Defence Association.
Mr David McCall.
David McCall was born in Greenock and came to Glasgow at an early age where he received his education and his first start in his business career. At the outset Mr McCall was engaged in the flour milling industry and spent a matter of ten years with the firm of Harvie & McGavin. Subsequently he joined the staff of Messrs. Thomson Brothers & Cameron, flour and grain merchants where he remained for a decade, part of that time being devoted to travelling. Mr McCall then became associated with the provision trade, through Messrs. Robert Walker & Co., and with them he opened up their special south journey.
In 1886 David entered into the licensed trade an acquired the “Old Black Bull” at 9 Bedford Street, Gorbals. The Old Black Bull was one of the oldest established licensed houses and landmarks in the old Gorbals Parish, it was originally situated in Main Street but the licence was transferred by Mrs Boyle, McCall’s predecessor. The old swinging sign was also moved to the new premises and was one of the oldest signs in Glasgow. David made considerable improvements to the premises and greatly increased the trade. Six years later he purchased another public house at 56 Hospital Street, Gorbals.
Mr McCall had an interest in the trade defence work for many years and became vice president of the Tradeston Division in 1897, in the spring the following year he was elected president in succession to David Bowman. Mr McCall was also a member of the Scottish Wine and Spirit Merchants Benevolent Institution, an ardent Free Mason of Lodge St. Vincent No. 553 and a member of the Eastern Clydesdale and Southern Merchants Association. He further showed his cosmopolitan spirit by helping on as a member of the Third Lanark, the national game of football and indulged occasionally in a quite sprint in the country.
Leave a Reply