92 West George Street, Glasgow. G2 1 PH. Tel: 0141 331 4111.
92 West George Street, Glasgow. G2 1 PH. Tel: 0141 331 4111.
552 Gallowgate, Glasgow.
Fourways, 552 Gallowgate, corner of Abercromby Street. 1970s.
There has been licensed premises on this site since 1838, the small shop was licenced as a grocers and a spirit dealers, owned by Neil McLean and then by Hugh McLean in 1840.
A well known Glasgow wine and spirit merchant James Shirra took over the building in 1843. In 1870 James Shirra was living at 93 Dale Street, Bridgeton, ten years later he was living at 526 Gallowgate near to where the pub sat.
James Shirra continued to serve the locals here until 1888, the pub was then sold to Robert Graham that same year. Robert Graham & Sons was once one of the biggest pub owners in Glasgow having pubs at 131 Broad Street, 552 Gallowgate, 251 Gallowgate, 5 Marlborough Street, 37-45 Saltmarket, 1-3 Saltmarket, 18 Graeme Street (Bell Street), Paisley Road, Bridge Street and Moore Street. Robert Graham also owned Barrowfield Bakery, 7 Bridgeton Cross, and offices at 30 London Street.
Robert resided at Garfield House, Stepps Road, Robert D Graham was bookkeeper at the Bakery at 37 Bridgeton Cross, he resided at 3 Somerville Place with his brother John D Graham. David Graham worked very close to his father at 30 London Street (London Road), Glasgow Cross, he lived at Annesley, Uddingston.
The companies old premises started to fall into ruin and most of them were demolished during the 1920s due to the City Improvement programs.
However this old pub stayed opened until the mid 1970s. During the 1950s the pub was known as the Bankhead Bar, Patrick J McMenamin took over the pub in 1963, he was the last publican to run the pub before it was demolished.
Other names this old favourite local has been known as: Shirra’s, Robert Graham & Sons, Step Inn, Bankhead Bar, and The Fourways.
Party at the Fourways, advert 1975.
To read the full story of Robert Graham & Sons click here.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me atJohn@oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
647 Shettleston Road, Glasgow..
Interior view of the Forge Bar. 1964.
The pub got a new name The Forge Bar named after the nearby Forge foundry.
Interior view of the lounge 1964.
J Maguire, of Usher’s and manager J Boyle. 1967.
This photo was taken through the mirror, with some of the locals sitting in the new lounge. 1967.
The new lounge was added to the Forge Bar taking over an adjoining licensed grocer’s shop. The alterations meant that up to 180 people could be seated in the lounge. An unusual feature in the lounge was the fiberglass walls and a goat hair carpet laid out in green and brown squares.
Shettleston Road looking west.
318 Battlefield Road, Glasgow. G42 9JD. Tel: 0141 649 7520.
Please check back soon for the history of this pub
333 Paisley Road corner of 2 Pollok Street, Glasgow.
Fleck’s Bar standing on it’s own while the bulldozer on the left tidies up after the demolition of tenement buildings. in 1970s.
This old pub dates back to around 1875 when William Fraser was the landlord. Mr Fraser a wine and spirit merchant also had premises at 178 Eglinton Street, 10 Clyde Place, 172 Cumberland Street and 164 East Milton Street.
When old Mr Fraser died around 1895, his son David Speirs Fraser took control of the business of public houses and off license premises. David was not new to the trade as he was running his own pubs from the 1880s which included 278 Cumberland Street at the corner of 3 Camden Street and 307 Eglinton Street at the corner of 62 Cavendish Street, 129 Govan Road, Paisley Road West, Rutland Crescent and Crookston Street.
In 1899 Mr Fraser was paying an annul rent of £15.00 the these premises on 333 Paisley Road,
In the early 1900s David S Fraser advertised “The Canteen” blend of old Scotch whisky in premises at 64 Paisley Road, 93 Govan Road, 333 Paisley Road, 13 Eglinton Street, 307 Eglinton Street and 278 Cumberland Street.
David Speirs Fraser. 1888.
In 1909 this pub was taken over by Thomas Kirkham. He was landlord of Kirkhams Bar in Oswald Street, Glasgow now known as the Quarter Gill.
Thomas Kirkham was born in England in 1830 at an early age he joint the forces and fought in the Indian Mutiny. He met his wife Margaret in Barbados, West Indies. They had 8 children Matthew the eldest was born in Tyzebad, Thomas and Jessie were both born in Sutapore and Mary Jane was born in Kussarolie, East Indies. When they settled in Glasgow they had another four children Margaret, Annie, James and Arthur.
Thomas took over the pub in Oswald Street in 1872 trading here until his death in 1917, he was then residing in Kent Avenue, Jordanhill. His son Thomas George Kirkham then took over as trustee, he had the most experience in the licensed trade as he ran 2 pubs of his own in Ingram Street and West Campbell Street. When his father died he left no estate except £1000 and his pub which was quite a lot of money in those days, his two unmarried daughters were solely dependent upon the business.
Thomas jun later disposed of the pubs in West campbell Street and Ingram Street and continued to run his fathers old pub in Paisley Road at the corner of Pollok Street. He continued to hold the licence for Oswald Street until 1939, when the second world war broke out.
After the war a lady by the name of Mrs Janet Muirhead served the locals here for a few years, she lived on High Street, Tillicoultry, Stirling.
The pub was refurbished in 1950 and a new name was erected above the door, “FLECK’S BAR” named after Joseph Fleck who was well known in the bar during the 1950s and 60s. One of the last licensed holders was Robert A Robertson who took over in 1964 and served the locals here until the pub was demolished in the late 1970s.
Left to right Mr & Mr W Chasson, Rosshire Bar, Mr & Mrs E Mulholland, Rosshire Bar, Mr & Mrs J Fleck, Mr & Mrs McAulay, Boghead Inn, Carmunnock, Mr George Grier, 123 and three in one bars, Mrs Johnstone, Mrs Lundie, Mr M Haxton, Montgomerie Arms Hotel, East Kilbride, Mr A Anderson of George Younger. 1958.
Fleck’s Bar Advert 1970.
73 Bath Street, Glasgow. G2 2DH. Tel: 0141 353 0571.
Phileas Fogg. 1991.
This great 70s bar became known as Flares.
Now Called Huggy Bears. Tel: same as above.
62 Main Street, Pollokshaws. later Shawbridge Street.
The old trancar terminus sat outside the Flag Staff Tavern in the late 1800s.
Landlord was the Ernest Tough.
49 Bell Street, Glasgow. G1 Tel:. 0141 552 3539.
Red Lizard. 2006.
Formerly known as Fiddler’s Court.
Fiddler’s Court was probably named after the worst close on nearby High Street in the early 1800s. The close was filled by the poorest people in the city, all sorts of smells reeked from this close including urine and sanitary waste. The close was swept away in the 1870s by the City Improvement Trust.
Its a wonder the owners chose such a name as this was quite a nice pub to drink in, attracting students and nearby residents of the nice flats in the Merchant City. The menu had a great choice and was very reasonably prices.
The bar had a refurbishment and is now called Locomotiv, closed in the summer of 2005, it was called the Red Lizard.
56 Dale Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow.
The Fern Vaults. 1888.
The Fern Vaults sat in the shadow of the Corporation Gas Works at 56 and a half Dale Street, Bridgeton. The proprietor in 1888 was wine and spirit merchant Thomas Ferguson, he got his training in the Auld Hay House, Canning Street, near the Barrowfield Brewery, where he served for seven years.
Thomas stocked large quantities of Avon Dhu (label Red Hand and Cross Swords) a fine old Highland Scotch Whisky, owned by Messrs. John Hair & Company., Glasgow. Mr Ferguson also kept on tap and bottles John Haig Whisky, the finest ales were also stocked including Melvin’s 60 shilling ale, Oswald, Paterson & Co’s nourishing Stout and Adamson’s Stout and Ale, fine Champagnes, brandies and wines were also stocked.
Thomas was a member of the Eastern Merchants and Tradesmen’s Society, his diploma dated back to 1877 and numbers 699. This speaks volumes for a man of 32 years of age. The pub was the hunting ground of the Gas workers and was jam packed on pay day.
Well known publican Francis Meichen owned the pub from 1897, he sold the business to Martin Maloney who traded from here until the pub was demolished during the First World War.
Dale Street had other well known pub including
Matthew Burnside’s, 98 Dale Street coner of Dalmarnock Road..
John Dyce’s Bar 42 Dale Street corner of King Street.
Agnes Fyfe 45 Dale Street.
Hugh McCabe’s 33 Dale Street.
Mrs Margaret MacPherson 6-8 Dale Street, she also had pubs at Duke Street and Main Street Bridgeton.
Boxer Tommy Milligan had a pub at the corner of Dale Street and Main Street.
11 Crown Street, Gorbals, Glasgow. S.S.
M. Fearon. 11 Crown Street 1920s. Michael Fearon on the left with head barman. Thanks to Ian Rodger and Charlie Fearon for the images.
This old public house was first licensed in 1872 by wine and spirit merchant Helen McIntyre. Before that Thomas Lipton, Butter and Egg Merchant traded from this site.
The licence was taken over by James McIntyre in 1884 probably her son. The following year we see another publican taking over the premises by the name of James McDougall.
Interior view with Michael Fearon on the left with head barman.
Andrew Kerr took over in 1886. Mr Kerr was a well known wine and spirit merchant in the Scottish Licensed Trade. Mr Kerr continued as licensee until 1912.
Michael Fearon acquired the licence in 1913 just before the First World War. He couldn’t have pick a worst time to buy a pub. However he continued to struggle through the wartime and sold up in 1928. Michael lived at Langside Road, first at no. 50 then to 220.
Patrick Devine took over the pub in 1929- 30.
John D McLaughlin was another publican to hold the licence during the 1930s.
James Pearson 1940s – 50s.
One of the last licence holders was a lady called Elizabeth D H Pitt. The history of this old pub started with a female licence holder and finished with one.