9 Drury Street, Glasgow. Demolished.
There’s been a public house on this site since 1844. John Hamilton a spirit dealer occupied the premises for a very short time and gave it up in 1848. Mr John Gibson and Mr MacKay also lasted a few years each before John Wylie a wine & spirit merchant took over in 1854. Wylie lived next door at 5 Drury Street and served the locals here until 1876.
In 1877 James Thomson, wine & spirit merchant occupied the premises until 1894.
John Forbes was granted a certificate to sell wines and spirits in 1895, he lived at 15 Alexander Street for many years. In 1899 he was paying an annual rent of £110. The pub stayed in the family until 1950s, in 1941 John Forbes was residing at Beaulah, Orchard Street, Motherwell.
During the 60s Robert Scott was licensee and by the 1970s Leslie Hope was trading from here on behalf of Tennent Caledonian Breweries Ltd.
In 1955 Safe Blowers broke into the Drury Bar, 9 Drury Street from the building upstairs and blow the safe stealing a large sum of money. In the 1950s it was very common for pubs getting broken into and safes being blow, this was probably due to the fact that explosives were still available after WW2.
Do you remember this old pub? if so please leave a comment.