18 Chapel Street, Rutherglen, Glasgow. G73 1JE.Tel: 01416474861.
The Fairways. 1991.
The Fairway was built in 1961 for the Murphy family. Rutherglen Town Council had the Murphy’s old premises demolished which sat 50 yards from the new building and dated back to the 17th century. Ye Olde Innhad an established date of 1650, John and Mary Murphy took this old pub over in the 1920s from their family who had it for over twenty years.
Exterior view of the Fairway. 1961.
The Fairway bar was named as there was an old golf course on the site many years ago. A feature of the new premises both in the lounge and the public bar was the various types of timber used. Canadian Birch was chosen for the lounge bar, the bar counter front being rio rosewood, the public bar was panelled in American black cherry with mahore for the counter front and figured willow for the gantry.
Moquette wall seating in a violet shade in the lounge and the seats were upholstered in the same colour. The whole of the establishment had underfloor heating.
Opening ceremony group at Rutherglen’s Fairway. Left to right Mr J A MacDonald, Glasgow and West of Scotland manager, Scottish Brewers Ltd.; Mr John Murray jun.; Mrs Mary Murray; Mr D M Ferguson and Mr John Murray sen. 1961.
A day’s outing at the golf course, left to right W Jenkins, Govan Arms, J J Murray, Fairway, A Ford of Usher’s. 1967.
Update November 2009…
Burnhill Bar. November 2009.
The Fairways is now called The Burnbank. Thanks to Norrie McNamee.