192 Cumberland Street corner of 207.5 Thistle Street, Gorbals, Glasgow.
Peter Gallagher pulling a pint at the opening of the Bon Accord in 1971.
Peter Gallagher was 43 years of age when he opened the Bon Accord in 1971, his first public house he acquired was in 86 Abbotsford Place, (the Rising Sun), Gorbals in 1951, he was then one of the youngest licensees in Glasgow.
Peter also owned a pub at 350 St Vincent Street, (The North Star Bar).
This history of the Havana Bar can be traded back to 1857 when spirit merchant Hugh McLean acquired a licence to sell Porter, Beer, Wine’s and Spirits. He only served the local for a few years before David Allan took over. He only lasted a year in the pub before David McGill took over. He also lasted a few years and sold up in 1861, however he acquired another public house at 5 John Street, Bridgeton.
In 1863 George Millar a grocer & Wine Merchant took over the business. Mr Millar lasted a bit longer in the business until 1880. In 1870 George Millar also owned a pub at 72 Gloucester Street. Millar lived with his family at 198 Cumberland Street not far from his pub.
In 1881 Allan Cameron was licensee, he also had premises at 102 Waddell Street, Gorbals and lived at 44 Apsley Place. In 1899 he was paying an annual rent of £75. Allan Cameron stayed licensee until 1910.
William MacPherson MacDonald took over in 1911. William had to run his business through WW1 which was very hard going, especially when beer and whisky was in short supply, some days he was forced to close shop when a delivery failed to arrive at the pub, this was quite common during war times.
During the 1930s Patrick J McKernan was licensee. James Barr during the 1940s, Maurice F Digby in the 1950s followed by Peter Gallagher in the 1960s and 70s. Peter Gallagher was the last to hold the licence before the pub was demolished in the early part of 1970s.
This old pub was also called the Cosy Bar.