680-80a Rutherglen Road corner of 3 Logan Street.
The Logan Bar & Lounge 1960s.
In 1899 Rutherglen Road had 26 Public Houses and 3 off sales, here is a list of some of them, Crawford’s, Tuft Bar, McGinn’s, Horn Bar, Eadie’s, McLean’s, Broon’s Bar, Kick Off, Morrison’s, Railway Tavern, McIndoer, Seaforth, Wheatsheaf, Coronation Bar, The Elm, Garrick Vaults, Boundary Bar, Braehead, Holly Tree, Cecil, Teacher’s, Anderson’s, Halfway Bar the Ferry, and the Roseberry.
The Logan can be traced back to 1880 when James Lochhead and Dugald Butler acquired a licence for the premises. James Lochhead and Dugald Butler joined forces and traded under the title of Lochhead & Butler at 27-29 Saltmarket in 1871.
In 1885 Thomas Lochhead and Dugald Butler traded at 680a Rutherglen Road and 559-63 Dalmarnock Road. Both of them lived at 139 Greenhead Street. Dugald was one of the founders of the Bridgeton Victualling Society. The pub gets its name from the street on the corner of Rutherglen Road (Logan Street).
Lochhead & Butler sold these premises in 1892 to another well known wine and spirit merchant, Samuel M Burnside. The Burnside family owned some of the best bars in the East End and the South Side. Samuel also acquired a licence for premises at 81 Houston Street.
In 1919 Samuel M Burnside was now running pubs at 323 Baltic Street, 317-19 Dalmarnock Road and 680 Rutherglen Road.
Samuel’s son Matthew took over in the 1930s and 40s.
Many will still remember Joseph Robb, he ran the pub in the 1950s and 60s. One of the last licensee was J & M MacLeod, wine and spirit merchants 1967.
Do you remember this old pub, if so PLEASE get in touch.