914 Rutherglen Road,Glasgow. G5 0AW. Demolished.
This old South Side public house was called “The Little Mill Inn.” then changed to “The Wee Mill.” and Chancers.
The Wee Mill. c 1980s.
During the 1930s this public house a great place for a refreshment for the folk after a walk around Richmond Park which was located across the road.
This old pub was first get it’s licence to sell wines, spirits and beer in 1929.
The first licensee was a lady called Margaret H McCann. Mrs McCann was not new to the licensed trade as she had just lost her license at 227 Abercromby Street in the East End of the city due to City Improvements. Margaret took over the licence at 227 Abercromby Street in 1897 at that time she was living at 134 Claythorn Street not far from the Hielan Jessie pub.
The McCann family continued in The Wee Mill until the 1960s, then Cecilia Thomson took over as licensee in 1972. During the 1990s many will remember Allistair Dooey as licensee.
1973 Cecilia Caffrey or Thomson.
1960-1929 Margaret McCann.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.
Leave a Reply