10 Douglas Street, Glasgow.
McKay’s Bar sat at the corner of Douglas Street and Holm Street just off Argyle Street.
McKay’s Bar on the corner. 1960s.
In the 1870s James Inglis was licence holder for this old pub, he also ran a pub in Glebe Street.
Duncan Campbell acquired the licence in 1887 and continued in the pub until 1910. More on Mr Campbell soon.
Murdoch Macrae took over the pub in 1914, he was a native of Aultbea, Ross-shire and came to Glasgow in 1900, becoming associated in the trade in that year. He was a director of the Royalty Burns Club and a director of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association from 1922 to 1929, he took a special interest in the Clan Macrae Society, of which he was President, acting also as President of the Society’s Pipe Band. A Gaelic speaker and a keen supporter of everything pertaining to the Highlands, he was a conspicuous figure at Trade functions in his Highland garb. An enthusiastic Free Mason, Past Master of Lodge The Gael, No. 609.
He was also a member of the Managing Committee of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association
He disposed of the licence in Douglas Street in 1929 after he had joined the staff of Bulloch Lade & Co., Ltd., representing that firm in Glasgow and the West of Scotland for thirteen years. When traveller’s came off the road, in that firm, he became charge hand with William Y McCreadie in his Waterloo Street pub.
Both Mr Macrae and McCreadie died in 1945, Mr Macrae was sixty four years of age.
Mr Murdoch Macrae. 1929.