51 Blythswood Street, Glasgow. G2. Demolished.
The Corner Bar. 1962. Thank to the Mitchell Library.
The Corner Bar was situated at the corner of Blythswood Street and Waterloo Street.
Blythswood Street was formerly known as Mains Street.
His wife Rachel took over the following year and continued as licence holder until 1878.
In 1898 Eva Manson Sturrock acquired the licence, the pub was then known as the Waterloo Vaults. Mrs Sturrock was still the holder the the licence in 1919.
In 1926 William Y McCreadie was licence holder, William was a Director of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association as a representative of the Blythswood Ward, he was also president of the Royalty Burns Club, in his spare time he played bowls. Mr McCreadie died in 1945, his wife Margaret continued as licence holder. The family continued in this pub just before it was demolished in the early 1960s.
This group of Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence members on a days outing to Oban. 1937. Front row left to right, Frank Jeans, W Y McCreadie, John Burns, John Russell, James Denholm, president, Archibald McNiven, Vice-president, William Jamieson, Hon. treasurer, John Holmes, John McKinnon, William Cosgrove and Kenneth McLean. Back row Alexander Graham, W J McDowall, secretary, James Clelland and Patrick McKay.
Another view of the Corner Bar. 1960. Thanks to the Mitchell Library.
This old pub was demolished a few years after this image was taken.
Here are some principal personalities who attended the smoker dinner held at Belmont House, Glasgow, by the Cowcaddens Ward of the Glasgow Association in 1962. Left to right: Mr G Ramster, Glasgow Association Office; Mr H Doherty, Symposium Bar, Cowcaddens Street; Mr N Jones, Cross Keys, St. Peter’s Street; Mr J Dougan, Dougan’s Bar, Springburn Road; Mr R Lemon, Lemon Tree, Parliamentary Road (Ward Convener); Mr W J Bennet, Port Dundas Road; Mr W B Gow, Bristol Bar, Cowcaddens; Mr J Lanagan, Maitland Street; Mr T F Flynn who succeeded Mr Gow as president of the Glasgow Association; Mr D McNiven, Argyle Arms, Kennedy Street; and Mr W J McDowall, Secretary, Glasgow Association.
Another view of the Corner Bar. 1960’s. Thanks to the Mitchell Library.
The Corner Bar. 1960. Thanks to the Mitchell Library.
1960-1945 Margaret Thomson McCreadie.
1945-1926 William Y McCreadie.
1919-1898 Eva Manson Warren Sturrock.
1878 Mrs Rachel Frost.
1874 Andrew Frost.
Do you know anything about this pub or any other pub in the city?
If so please contact us and we will review your comments.