Mr William McKillop was born at Catrine, Ayrshire on August 25th, 1858 and received his early education at the public school in Catrine (Where he also worked in the mill). After this, he was educated privately in Glasgow.
Along with his elder brother, John, he started business as a wine and spirit merchant in the East End of Glasgow.
n 1895, they acquired the Royal Restaurant, West Nile Street, and their enterprise afterwards found an outlet in the inauguration of an establishment built on a much more extensive scale, namely the Grosvenor Restaurant, which was opened in 1899.
This undertaking (In which they were assisted by another brother, Mr James McKillop) from the first was carried on with conspicuous ability, and the Grosvenor soon gained a reputation for high-class catering which made it one of the leading reports in the city for public dinners.
Mr William McKillop was also President of the Glasgow Restaurateurs’, Purveyors’, and Hotel-keepers’ Association, and during his term of office, a benevolent scheme for the members of that body was instituted.
Mr McKillop took a keen interest in sports and pastimes, and was one of the promoters and staunchest supporters of the Celtic Football Club. He was also a member of the Merchants’ House and of the Incorporation of Wrights.
William McKillop passed away at the early age of 51 years old on Thursday the 26th of August 1909. His remains were interred in Dalbeth Cemerery and a Requiem Mass was celebrated in St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Great Clude Street, Glasgow at eleven o’clock on the 28th of August 1909.