105 Stockwell Street, Glasgow.
Robert Jaferay’s Wine & Spirit Cellar. c 1820.
Empty casks and barrels outside cottages occupied by a cooper and a tavern keeper at 105 Stockwell Street, Glasgow, c 1820. The row was on the east side of the street, nearly opposite Jackson Street, on the former site of the Glasgow Cattle Market.
A sign above the door on the building on the left identifies Robert Jaferay’s Wine & Spirit Cellar, and above it the home of W Grant. On the neighbouring building there is a sign for Alexander Young. In front of the building is the Stock well, opened in 1638 and encased in a protective wooden structure. Behind, towering above the scene is the Merchants’ Steeple in the Bridgegate. Thanks to the Mitchell Library.