6 Findlay Street, Cowcaddens, Glasgow. Demolished.
This old pub dates back to 1866.
In 1929 Findlay Street changed name and became Stow Street.
There has been a public house on this site since 1866. The first landlord was John McKay who lived at 31 Buccleuch Street. Mr McKay continued as licensee until 1876. The next licensee was a gentleman called Thomas Pincock. Mr Pincock lived at 7 Clarendon Street before moving to better accommodation at 25 Shamrock Street.
When Thomas Pincock died in 1882, Elizabeth Pincock took over the licence. Elizabeth a year before ran a successful public house at 273 Garscube Road, living at 229 Garscube Road. When she took over the pub she moved into Thomas’s house at 25 Shamrock Street. She must have been a relative.
The above image shows Mr James Dorrian in the centre with the dark suit, with seven of a staff. The young man on the far right is Peter Doherty, who started at the bottom of the ladder and worked his way to managing the pub before taking over his own pub at 384 St Vincent Street.
Many will remember this old pub as Wm McMullan & Co, 6 Stow Street which was demolished in the 1970s.
To read the history of this old Glasgow public house please check back soon for our second book.
Do you remember this old pub? If so please leave a comment.