7 Shuttle Street, Glasgow.
Alexander McKenzie’s Vaults. 1888.
Alexander McKenzie was born in 1846 and brought up in Balfron, when he was 42 years of age he was still a bachelor.
This old pub sat between Ingram Street and College Street on one side and North Albion Street and High Street on the other. It was a stones throw of the College Station.
The pub had five small snug’s or little box rooms all with simple upholstered seating, a spacious saloon at the rear contained three large tables.” McKenzie’s Toddy blend” was popular with the customers. As you entered the main bar one was faced with large barrels on the gantry selling “Breadalbane Highland Whisky” for 10d a glass, other well known blends of whisky such as “Glenlivet” on tap, “Campbeltown,” and “Islay.”
Mr McKenzie made a point to sell nothing but the best matured blends of whisky. Wines Brandies and Bass on tap and bottles were also stocked in the bar. The cellar was deep underneath, a block pulley was arranged for lowering barrels and goods into the cellar, all the bottling was also done on the premises. The bar it-self was unusual, in a J shape.
Before Mr McKenzie entered into the pub trade he was an engineer and boasted that he regularly lifted £20 and over for a fortnight’s pay for himself and his apprentice boy, a large sum of money in those days. But he never had any regrets in leaving that trade. He left the pub the following year, selling it to wine and spirit merchant John McLean, he had another pub at 9-11 Castle Street.
In 1865 David Anderson owned this old pub, Mr Anderson also owned the “Stag” Candleriggs (Granny Blacks), and a pub at 228 Broomielaw. In 1875 William Wright was landlord, 1888 Alexander McKenzie, 1889 John McLean, 1890 Hugh Patrick. The pub closed for good before the First World War.