21 River Road, Carmyle, Glasgow. G32 8EG. Tel: 0141 641 2607.
The Auld Boat Hoose, 1991.
Established in 1826. The Auld Boat Hoose had a major refurbishment in 1956, a new feature in the lounge was a specially built boat hull designed to serve as a bar, other marine fittings like lanterns, ship’s bells, rope, oars and anchors adorned the walls. A red and green ship lantern was fitted to either side of the bar. The theme of the lounge could not be more appropriate for the premises were situated on the opposite bank of the River Clyde from Cambuslang. It was said that an old boat house stood near by and a ferry used to ply across the river.
Adam Anderson licensee was at the opening ceremony which was performed by Mr & Mrs Anderson, J MacDonald of Glasgow and West of Scotland manager of Scottish Brewers Ltd and a host of friends and guests.
Left to right J A MacDonald Mrs Anderson, Mr Anderson and daughter Fiona Brown. 1963.
Interior view of the the new lounge 1963, note the bar which was in the shape of a boat.
The Auld Boat Hoose, 2005.
Do you know anything about this pub? if so please get in touch.
The Auld Boat Hoose was the first pub to have a beer garden in the city of Glasgow.
Carmyle boasted that it never had a pawn shop, it never needed one as most of the people living there were employed in the extensive iron works and coal mines.