180 Watt Street, Kinning Park, Glasgow.
Ballochmyle Bar. circa 1897.
The Ballochmyle Bar was situated at the corner of Watt Street and Ardgowan Street a public house that only lasted a few years. Mr James R Leitch the proprietor took over the pub in 1899, paying an annul rent of £39.
James was born in Main Street, Govan, he attended school at the age of seven under Mr Allan, at what was known as the Half Way House between Paisley and Glasgow. On leaving school he became an apprentice to the baking trade, which after a year he joined the staff of Mr Crawford, Grocer, Paisley Road, then to Mr Copeland in Maclean Street, where he remained for five years.
He then left to work with Mr William Buchanan a licensed grocer in Dumbarton Road. With an insight into the liquor trade James went on to work with Mr Bennet, wine & spirit merchant, Wilson Street, Glasgow where he remained for seven years. James then became his own boss and took over the new premises in Watt Street.
James was married in 1891 to Miss Sarah McCutcheon of Straiton, Ayrshire. He was a Free Mason of Lodge 581 and a Free Gardener of the Rose of Sharon.