164 Harmony Row, Govan, Glasgow. G51. Demolished.
A B Lyle’s Cosy Corner. Before alterations 1939.
The Cosy Corner was situated at the corner of Harmony Row and Crossloan Road.
There has been a pub on this site since 1872. John Adam was the first licensee, he lived with his wife Elizabeth at Langloan Road.
When John passed away his wife Elizabeth took over the business in the early 1880s. Mrs Adam continued as licensee until 1896, she was then living at Mayfield, Crossloan Road.
The Cosy Corner. 1939. After Alterations.
In 1897 Dugald MacKenzie took over the pub. Mr MacKenzie was wine and spirit merchant living at 3 Regent Park Terrace, Strathbungo, before moving to better accommodation at 17 Princess Street, Pollokshields by 1919. The rent at this time was £80 per annum for the pub which he continued as landlord until 1923.
The business was then taken over by wine & spirit merchant Thomas Buchanan. Thomas sold up in 1932 and the next licensee was well known Alan Bruce Lyle. The business stayed in the same family until it was demolished in the 1960s.
Do you remember this old Pub? If so please leave a comment.